PDA

View Full Version : Considering a DSA 225 tank but have some questions?

FrankB1
09/29/2013, 07:02 PM
I have been looking at getting a Red Sea Max 650 but have decided to go a bit bigger and one that I can pick and choose my equipment.

I came across Deep Sea Aquatics and really like their 225 gal that measure 72x27x27 but I have a question from you guys that have one of their tanks.

Is the glass low iron?
What flow rate are you running through the center overflow?
For those of you using one of their stands, did you have it customized with additional doors on the sides?

Also a couple general questions.
What have you found to be the best way to black out the back glass? Was considering auto tinting it or just painting it I guess.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can give.

1fishkeeper
09/29/2013, 07:25 PM
I just picked up the DSA 190 yesterday. I love the quality of the workmanship that was done on it. The seals have very clean lines to them. As for if the glass is low iron. I was told that low iron glass does not have a green tint to it. Mine is very clear and zero green tint to it. But it wasn't marked starfire glass but it sure does look like it. The flow rate I can't answer because its not hooked up yet. The stand I'm going with a custom made stand for mine. Its going to be a steel frame stand with a wood skin over it. As for the back glass. I just picked up privacy window tint today. I'm going to put it on tonight here in just a few.

FrankB1
09/29/2013, 07:58 PM
Thank you FishKeeper

I'm limited here in Alaska and the costs of getting a decent tank up here takes away from what I could spend on custom. The only tanks we have up here are Aqueon and Marineland and I don't care for their overflow configurations etc.

ClownNut
09/29/2013, 08:29 PM
tank is awesome, since they are "old oceanic". so you are getting a beautiful tank. no they are not starphire glass.
they also make a very nice stand, they use acrylic do a liner inside the stand so you will have tray like bottom just in case you have an overflow.
standard center overflow have 5 holes if I recall correctly. 3 for 1" bulkhead 2 for 1.5" bulkhead.
I will order dsa tank again if I upgrade or move.
rustoleum flat black paint is the the paint.