PDA

View Full Version : Adding wrasses to established tank?

Joce
09/29/2013, 09:51 PM
Sadly, my first every saltwater fish of 2 years, a 4" yellow wrasse carpet surfed last month. Plain looking fish but had tons of personality and it was exciting to watch him change to his adult colors.

Since then, I'm trying to find wrasses to add to my tank but I'm afraid my tangs are big bullies. Any tips on adding fairy wrasses to my tank?

Tank Inhabitants:
Powder Blue Tang
Hippo Tang
Flame Angel
Marine Betta
Banggai Cardinal pair
Ocellaris Clownfish Pair

Bubbletip Anemone
Blue Tuxedo Urchin
Blood Red Fire Shrimp
Snails

evolved
09/30/2013, 10:26 AM
Using an acclimation box for a few days could help your chances greatly.

However, I wouldn't advise any wrasse unless you cover the tank. Any/all of them will eventually end up on the floor without a cover.

luamada
09/30/2013, 05:53 PM
Where do I buy this box?

Blue Ring Sting
09/30/2013, 06:03 PM
I would use the acclimation box to see how well they would do with the other fish firstly, and I would get some egg crate to place over the tank to prevent jumping. It is a must for jumpers.

Most of your LFS should stock an acclimation box. Give your nearest one a call.

aquaph8
09/30/2013, 08:53 PM
Elite aquatics makes the nicest acclimation boxes IMO. 1/4" netting is best for the top, a wrasse will jump right through egg crate.

evolved
10/01/2013, 10:07 AM
Yup, 1/4" mesh or you're potentially wasting your time. :)

If the head (kinda) fits, the fish fits! And eventually will fit, for that matter.

3dees
10/01/2013, 10:14 AM
I have egg crate over my qt. it has 1/4" openings. wouldn't that be just as good? the only downside is it cuts off some light. I cut and shaped mine with a dremel in about 15 minutes although I'm thinking about the nylon screen for my dt.

evolved
10/01/2013, 11:17 AM
The openings in egg crate (light diffuser) are about 5/8". I'm not sure what you have if yours are 1/4"?

The real advantage with 1/4" mesh is it does not effect PAR with any significance, unlike egg crate or similar.

Deinonych
10/02/2013, 08:53 AM
The real advantage with 1/4" mesh is it does not effect PAR with any significance, unlike egg crate or similar.

+1

Here is a link to the 0.25" nylon mesh from BRS. Use a screen kit (available from Home Depot) with this to make a custom-fit top for your aquarium. Looks a lot nicer than using egg crate, and you can paint the screen frame before you install the mesh if you want.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-netting.html

Dangerwill
10/04/2013, 06:07 PM
Should i put sand in the acclimation box for them to hide?

evolved
10/04/2013, 06:52 PM
Depends on genus. If it's a Paracheilinus, Pseudocheilinus, or Cirrhilabrus, no. Those don't sleep in the sand. Just about all the rest do, however.

ingtar_shinowa
10/04/2013, 09:43 PM
I put a container of sand in with my small H. iridis during socialization in my EA box and it slept in it every night and had a smooth transition.