PDA

View Full Version : Compact florescent choices

KirbyBTF
09/30/2013, 11:51 AM
I have a two bulb Coralife CFL fixture, what two bulbs do yall recommend I run for growing coral? Do I need an actinic, or can I just use a coral bulb? I can run additional actinic on the side of need be. Right now I have a 10,000k 64w daylight, and actinic. I want something that will promote maximum growth.

kurt_n
09/30/2013, 01:15 PM
What you have is what I'd recommend with that fixture - one bulb 10000k, one bulb actinic. Can't get much better than that for that fixture.

KirbyBTF
09/30/2013, 02:09 PM
Damn, may have to upgrade then. I'm not too fond of the color it puts off. I also haven't replaced the bulbs in about two years ago that's probably part of the problem haha. What brand would you go with for replacement bulbs?

mfinn
09/30/2013, 04:26 PM
I have a two bulb Coralife CFL fixture, what two bulbs do yall recommend I run for growing coral? Do I need an actinic, or can I just use a coral bulb? I can run additional actinic on the side of need be. Right now I have a 10,000k 64w daylight, and actinic. I want something that will promote maximum growth.

What kind of coral do you have? Or want to get?

Maybe it's time for a lighting upgrade?

kurt_n
09/30/2013, 04:47 PM
Damn, may have to upgrade then. I'm not too fond of the color it puts off. I also haven't replaced the bulbs in about two years ago that's probably part of the problem haha. What brand would you go with for replacement bulbs?

2 years? :eek1:

Yes. That's the problem. I replace every 6 months. I think 8 months is the normal recommendation for CF. I've settled on Current over the years.

Agree with mfinn though... what are you trying to grow, and in how deep of a tank. Can't really say that if I was looking to upgrade lights, I'd go with CF these days! Ignoring all the other aspects, the bulbs are just getting harder to find and more expensive. The end is near. :)

KirbyBTF
09/30/2013, 05:17 PM
Sorry, I left out critical info! Im looking to keep ALL corals, and some of the easier species of clam (squamosa?). The tank is 9" deep, and the light is mounted another 9" above the tank.

mfinn
09/30/2013, 05:28 PM
Then you are going to have to do a light upgrade.
IMO CF is not going to be strong enough for all corals and clams, even in a shallow tank.

KirbyBTF
09/30/2013, 05:37 PM
Damn... Can you recommend a good (cheapish) light fixture? LED or T5.

mfinn
09/30/2013, 05:48 PM
What size is the tank?

Lenght x wideth x height?

Details about the tank?

KirbyBTF
09/30/2013, 06:10 PM
It's a Mr. Aqua 12g long. 36" long, 6" wide, 9" tall. Been up and running for 6 months total, never had any crashes, zoas, xenia, palys, lobo brain coral, birds nest, and montipora. Soon to be Squamosa clam once I work out my lighting.

mfinn
09/30/2013, 06:14 PM
It's a Mr. Aqua 12g long. 36" long, 6" wide, 9" tall. Been up and running for 6 months total, never had any crashes, zoas, xenia, palys, lobo brain coral, birds nest, and montipora. Soon to be Squamosa clam once I work out my lighting.

Sounds like it's been doing good so far.
Have any pics?

Stomatopod1701
09/30/2013, 06:19 PM
Two or three par full spectrum par 38s, or maybe one d120 or rb value fixture mounted high enough would work on a tank that shallow.

mfinn
09/30/2013, 06:30 PM
I did a search for 64 watt cf bulbs.
Didn't find any.
I did see some 55/65 watt bulbs.

Are yours square pin or straight pin?

KirbyBTF
09/30/2013, 06:35 PM
Straight pin, must be 65w.

mfinn
09/30/2013, 06:35 PM
Two or three par full spectrum par 38s, or maybe one d120 or rb value fixture mounted high enough would work on a tank that shallow.

I'd be afraid to put leds on a 9" deep tank knowing how powerful they are.

mfinn
09/30/2013, 06:44 PM
How are your corals looking?
Compared to others?

If I was to do a lighting upgrade, I'd look into a T5 fixture.
Maybe a 36" x 2 bulb.
Look for some led blue accent strips.

If not in the budget, checkout hellolights.com for new cf bulbs

KirbyBTF
09/30/2013, 06:53 PM
Yea LEDs would look great buy might burn the hell out of my corals. Right now they look great, everything is open and happy, nice polyp extension all around. The only reason I want to upgrade is so I can get some nice color from them. The only time I get nice neon coloration is with the moonlights on ONLY in a pitch black room.

mfinn
09/30/2013, 07:10 PM
Yea LEDs would look great buy might burn the hell out of my corals. Right now they look great, everything is open and happy, nice polyp extension all around. The only reason I want to upgrade is so I can get some nice color from them. The only time I get nice neon coloration is with the moonlights on ONLY in a pitch black room.

Then I would def. look into T5s

kurt_n
10/01/2013, 08:41 AM
The only time I get nice neon coloration is with the moonlights on ONLY in a pitch black room.

I think changing out 2-year old bulbs will put a fair amount of neon "pop" back into them. I'm always amazed at how brighter my tank is - after changing out 6 month old bulbs! The actinic is what is going to give you that neon coloration, and those - in my opinion - are the quickest to loose their punch.

I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school, so I'd be hesitant to change your setup (other than new bulbs) if everything is happy. But... I don't think that clam you want to get isn going to be overly happy under CFs, even in a really shallow tank. T5s are probably a good route. Either that or get a LED fixture that you can really really dim down.

KirbyBTF
10/01/2013, 09:04 AM
I'm leaning towards agreeing with you, I can't justify spending that kind of money on a new light when mine works just fine. Are there ANY types of clam that will do well under cf?

mfinn
10/01/2013, 09:49 AM
Are there ANY types of clam that will do well under cf?

Everything I have read, tells me they are a high light demanding critter.
So my answer would be probally not.

Maybe it would be a good topic for a separate thread.

Sometimes it's hard to bite the bullet and spend that extra $ to upgrade equipment.
But almost everytime I've done it, and once I have had the new equipment installed and working correctly, I usually asked myself, why didn't I do it sooner?