PDA

View Full Version : When treating ich in the main tank

Matt21345
10/01/2013, 09:36 AM
So I have a 29 gallon tank with live rock and fish. I have started the hyposalinity treatment with my fish in the quarantine tank. However is there anything I need to do in the main tank while the fish are being treated? I still have snails and shrimp in the main. Should I still do water changes and maintenance?

gone fishin
10/01/2013, 09:41 AM
I just carry on with my regular maintainence routine. Hypo is hard to pull off, attention to detail is absolutely crucial. good luck

Sugar Magnolia
10/01/2013, 10:23 AM
I just carry on with my regular maintainence routine. Hypo is hard to pull off, attention to detail is absolutely crucial. good luck

Yep. If the fish contracted ich in the main tank, you need to leave it fishless for 8 weeks for the parasite's life cycle to die off.

Matt21345
10/01/2013, 01:28 PM
Also before I did remove the fish from the main all the ich was off of them or at least the visible ich. The fish are still eating regularly with no decrease in appetite. So far my salinity is dropped to 1.020, should I still go about hypo or should I treat differently

gone fishin
10/01/2013, 02:16 PM
I personally would look into the other methods, copper or Tank transfer. If the salinity is not maintained exactly then you must start over or risk reintroducing the ich. There are some good stickies by some vey knowledgable people over in the fish disease forum. I would ask a mod to move the thread over there. Hit the red triangle and fill in the box. Good luck

Cymonous
10/01/2013, 02:30 PM
I highly recommend tank transfer. Very effective and it worked for me. I just used buckets during the transfer. Also, at least 9 weeks fishless for the DT.

dc
10/03/2013, 06:21 AM
[moved]...