PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference with these Shrimps?

Creative1
10/01/2013, 12:05 PM
I am looking on Live Aquaria, when I came across 3 different peppermint shrimps. I am looking for some shrimps to eat my tiny aiptasia.

Peppermint Shrimp (cheapest)
Tank Bred Aiptasia Eating Peppermint Shrimp (most expensive)
Tank Bred Aiptasia Eating Peppermint Shrimp Candy Cane

Is there a difference between these guys? or is it really just selling tactics?

Calappidae
10/01/2013, 01:19 PM
I am looking on Live Aquaria, when I came across 3 different peppermint shrimps. I am looking for some shrimps to eat my tiny aiptasia.

Peppermint Shrimp (cheapest)
Tank Bred Aiptasia Eating Peppermint Shrimp (most expensive)
Tank Bred Aiptasia Eating Peppermint Shrimp Candy Cane

Is there a difference between these guys? or is it really just selling tactics?

Regular peppermint shrimp that were tank bred and changed color.. then they were seen eating aiptasia and that's where they got them from IMO.

I also noticed how they never got them back in-stock meaning they don't have anymore to breed.

Sugar Magnolia
10/01/2013, 01:22 PM
Looks like they are three different species of peppermint shrimp. The ones sold most often in the hobby are the Lysmata wurdemanni , which are hit or miss when it comes to eating aiptasia. I'm not familiar with the other two but I'd say if they are tank bred to eat aiptasia, there's a good bet that they will eat it.

peasofme
10/02/2013, 08:15 AM
if they were fed in your tank they would probably stop eating aiptasia

kevinl
03/21/2014, 03:55 PM
Creative1,
Did you ever order those shrimp?
I was looking at the two that were sold as tank bred but they are not in stock (seems from reading here their never in stock)
The cheaper ones are in stock, so I wanted to see what you ended up doing & did what you tried help?
Thanks

JPF
03/24/2014, 08:32 PM
if they were fed in your tank they would probably stop eating aiptasia

This has been my experience.

joshua.jebe
03/25/2014, 01:05 PM
i got 12 from reefs to go a while back( there communication sucks) but shrimp were healthy and decimated the aptasia in some live rock i bought cheap. got them on sale b4 christmas 2.99 each B.O.G.O removed and rehomed the shrimp last month and no aptasia is present or visible yet

joshua.jebe
03/25/2014, 01:06 PM
*** reefs2go