PDA

View Full Version : Skimz sm203???

1fishkeeper
10/01/2013, 01:10 PM
Ok I have a quick question to ask about this skimmer. I asked it over on my build thread but I figure I should ask it over here since this is where all of people with all of the brains on this kind of stuff hang out. How is the SKIMZ SM203 skimmer? From reading they say that its rated for a 533 gallon tank but as everyone knows they always make it way higher then what they really are. I'm looking at it going on a 190 gallon tank with a 70 gallon sump. As for fish I really don't know what I'm going to have or how many. Right now the tank is just sitting on the floor as I'm ordering parts and equipment for it. So should I pull the trigger and order it and hope that it does a good job or should I keep on shopping. My biggest problem is the area that the skimmer goes is only 10" X 17 1/4". This one will fit in that area good. The others that I have been looking at will fit but be really tight or I will have to shave some off the base to get them to fit.

likmonster
10/01/2013, 02:58 PM
I have a skimz sm203. It's a great skimmer and does well. I feel their ratings are padded, but it should be fine for your tank.

The build is great, but I accidently broke the valve adjustment and had to get it replaced. I purchased mine from aquacave and they were terrible at trying to get a replacement part. So terrible that I just contacted skimz on my own and got the part. The problem with skimz is that it is an overseas company. Parts here are scarce and shipping for a little piece costs a grip.

1fishkeeper
10/01/2013, 03:23 PM
What size of tank do you have your on? And how well stocked is it?

likmonster
10/01/2013, 05:33 PM
I use to have it on 90 gallon, total 120 gallons. I have it now on a new system 180 total gallons. Nothing is in my new tank, but my tank was previously moderately stocked.

fewponds
11/07/2013, 07:11 AM
Do you know what should be the water level (in sump chamber) for this skimmer?