PDA

View Full Version : Feeding peppermint shrimp?

monkeypie102
10/01/2013, 06:12 PM
Alright so I've got an issue.. I have an apastia anemone and I planned to let it live, was cool to feed it and watch it digest food.... Anyways today my orange bta moved and so happened to he right next to the apastia... They've been stinging eachother and its time for it to go... Now here are my questions...

In this tank I use it to get anemones back to health... In other words I've got 2 rock anemones and the orange bta... I've read accounts of hungry peppermints going after the anemones we want... How true is this?

How many peppermint will I need? I've got a small issue but I don't know if I need more for company of the other or not...

Will it come out during the day or is it a night walker only...

How to I supplement its diet after it decimates the apastia... My lfs has a bunch in there tank I could probably get them free and make an apastia breeding colony...

Any tips for a healthy and happy peppermint is surly welcomed!!! Oh and pictures too! I love pics ;)

Calappidae
10/01/2013, 07:10 PM
Alright so I've got an issue.. I have an apastia anemone and I planned to let it live, was cool to feed it and watch it digest food.... Anyways today my orange bta moved and so happened to he right next to the apastia... They've been stinging eachother and its time for it to go... Now here are my questions...

In this tank I use it to get anemones back to health... In other words I've got 2 rock anemones and the orange bta... I've read accounts of hungry peppermints going after the anemones we want... How true is this?

How many peppermint will I need? I've got a small issue but I don't know if I need more for company of the other or not...

Will it come out during the day or is it a night walker only...

How to I supplement its diet after it decimates the apastia... My lfs has a bunch in there tank I could probably get them free and make an apastia breeding colony...

Any tips for a healthy and happy peppermint is surly welcomed!!! Oh and pictures too! I love pics ;)

Peppermints MAY eat aiptasia

monkeypie102
10/01/2013, 07:46 PM
Well anyone else want to be more helpful?

Calappidae
10/01/2013, 08:13 PM
Well anyone else want to be more helpful?

A peppermint shrimp might attack an aiptasia.. not always they do. Better to use berghia nudibranch as those will absolutely kill any aiptasia.

peasofme
10/02/2013, 08:13 AM
peppermints are hit or miss. a hungry one may go after aiptasia or your coral.

monkeypie102
10/02/2013, 09:23 AM
No coral yet... Idk I'd be happy to try one regardless... All the other ways of removal seem to cause possible harm to other nems near it or to myself if mishandled... And I've never heard of those nadibranches before so no idea of feeding of those either...

peasofme
10/02/2013, 09:25 AM
berghia only eat aiptasia, then starve to death. i hear they are also hit or miss. they are also about $30 a pop and rare.

Dsotto
10/02/2013, 09:33 AM
Peppermints will go after your other anemones. I had one eat some of my long tentacle, bubble tip, and carpet. I wouldn't put a peppermint with anemones you want to keep.

Calappidae
10/02/2013, 09:50 AM
berghia only eat the aiptasia and will starve otherwise. They can easily be purchased from online breeders actually. the problem with them is even amphipods are natural predators of berghia so its pretty difficult to keep them alive long enough to kill all aiptasia.

Lovetang
10/08/2013, 06:27 AM
Yeah, it's a guessing game. Don't worry about them starving to death because they will be a happy scavenger and eat whatever you feed the tank day or night.