PDA

View Full Version : Possible use of RO/DI waste water

Dan F
10/02/2013, 07:48 AM
Does anyone know if the waste water from a RO/DI would be harmful in makeup to grass? I'm thinking of collecting in a cistern and spreading on the lawn during the hot months. Thanks for any feedback.

Dsotto
10/02/2013, 07:53 AM
Not harmful at all. Just the same as you taking your garden hose and watering your grass. I always am thinking of ways to use that water but I live in a town home so no yard for me.

downbeach
10/02/2013, 07:55 AM
Nothing wrong with it, I use it to water plants, wash clothes, etc.

Reeferz412
10/02/2013, 08:14 AM
I have the waste water line collect in buckets or a large bin that I collect water to water my plants in the patio.

SpartaReef
10/02/2013, 11:03 AM
I had mine running out to the yard, the grass there grew better than anywhere else

BattleAthletics
10/02/2013, 11:07 AM
And here I am having it down the drain at the laundry

tdb320reef
10/02/2013, 12:32 PM
I run the waste line to top off my pool.

Dsotto
10/02/2013, 04:55 PM

Haha that's a good idea.

BattleAthletics
10/02/2013, 05:59 PM
I Didn't even think of that I could use it to water my plants

woodnaquanut
10/03/2013, 11:28 AM
I use it to top off pond then to lawn.

ANFPO
10/08/2013, 11:14 AM
I use it to top off pond then to lawn.

Doesnt the waste water have chlorine in it, make it bad for the fish,beneficial bacterias, etc?

Or it a pond thats large enough, the chlorine is negligible?

woodnaquanut
10/09/2013, 09:02 AM
Doesnt the waste water have chlorine in it, make it bad for the fish,beneficial bacterias, etc?

Or it a pond thats large enough, the chlorine is negligible?

Since the waste has gone thru the carbon I would expect it to be low on chlorine. The pond has the offspring of feeder goldfish I put in 6 years ago and one really big frog. They are tuff! I don't feed them, run a filter or do water changes. It has become a self-sustaining system.

Misled
10/09/2013, 07:17 PM
Since the waste has gone thru the carbon I would expect it to be low on chlorine.

You are correct.

SantaMonica
10/10/2013, 08:28 PM
Pet watering.

boakley
10/12/2013, 08:09 AM
I used to have my RO unit outside when I lived in FL. Would direct my waste stream either into the pool or into a watering can to use on the flowers. Perfectly good water, just not perfectly free of ions. Actually the water out of your hose has more contaminants in it then the waste stream.

shrimpgal
10/12/2013, 12:39 PM
I use mine to wash clothes :dance:

SaltWater226
10/12/2013, 12:49 PM

lol same here... I just ran the waste line into my pool because I'm to lazy to use it for anything else and don't want to see it go to waste ;)

Russell F
10/18/2013, 07:48 AM
I've heard if your using a booster pump you can tie it back into the plumbing some where else in the system. Like at the water heater or somewhere. The waste water is probably almost if not more clean than the feed water since it has ran through a sediment and carbon filter. I run my down the drain in the winter and collect it for the garden in the summer.

vividgraphx
10/30/2013, 10:37 AM
I run a 125 gal african cichlid tank and a small reef tank. I have a RO/DI filter as well and am curious if the waste water would be bad for the fresh water tank. I figure it has to be cleaner than the tap water I use now. So far I stick to the book and haven't tried this yet, what is your input?

woodnaquanut
10/31/2013, 10:48 AM
Do you add anything to the tap for the cichlids? The water from the RO/DI is higher in TDS than the tap, but other than that it's cleaner than the tap water.

You could always test it for pH,GH and KH. Best way to know what you actually have.

Fishman7
10/31/2013, 10:52 AM
never thought of dumping it into the pool what a great idea thanks guys !!!

houstonhobby
10/31/2013, 07:49 PM
I run my RO/DI outside (I live in Houston) and have a very long output hose, which I put under the trees, in a flower bed, or on the grass somewhere. Whatever plant gets it is always grateful (it is hot as hades here).

tonyda1st
10/31/2013, 09:19 PM
I use the water for my lawn as well and it still griws. I have not noticed any discoloration on my st augustine grass

Silly clownfish
11/01/2013, 07:13 PM
My RO filter is in my basement. It is next to the washer and when I had a top loader it drained right in, but with a front loader that is no longer an option. Carrying water upstairs to take it outside to water plants is a pain. And pointless in the winter. Any other ideas?

Btw -chlorine is not an issue for those of us with wells.

duperdave
11/03/2013, 06:02 AM
if you're on a well just dump it outside and it goes back into the aquifer

Unome
11/11/2013, 08:48 PM
I don't have SW tank(yet). But years ago before I got into FW, I was into rose bushes. I had 36 in my yard.

One day taking a shower, I got to wondering, "Is this waste water okay for plants(i.e. my rose bushes)?" I started doing some digging around(this was before the internet) and found out by reading that a lot of people would spray soapy water on their rose bushes and the bugs didn't like the soapy taste and leave bushes alone. So I started plugging the drain in the tub when I took a shower. After I finished(would rinse feet after getting out), I would run a hose from the tub, out the window, start a siphon and let as much water as possible drain from tub into the rose bushes.

I did this over a period of about 6 months when weather was warm(being in Georgia that was about 9 months of the year) for about 3 years. I had rose bushes with leaves as big as my hand and most of my roses were about the size of softballs. I could go out every day and cut about 80 - 100 flowers(the ladies at work loved me). The really plus side to this was I had NO INSECT problems.

The dirty soapy water was being absorbed by the plants, the soap was getting into the plants and bugs fled the scene. Even the Japanese beetles. And it didn't change the smell of the roses.

Finally decided to give it up because I was spending about 2 hrs. a day trimming/pruning/caring for the roses. Even though I gave them to my wife, taking that 2 hrs. away from her was NOT the best idea I had.

joshua.jebe
11/16/2013, 08:32 AM
i run my waste water to a 55gal drum and use it with top off for all my fresh water tanks on average 100gal a month i am using in topoff in iowa

sonoma2nv
11/21/2013, 03:06 PM
i have a 600 gal storage tank all mu rejected water goes in and its hooked up to my sprinklers

jccaclimber
11/23/2013, 11:34 AM
I dump mine out into the grass during the warmer months of the year. I don't water my indoor plants with it as I get very quick calcium buildup. This isn't an issue in the yard where the rain washes away any buildups.

chilwil84
12/14/2013, 06:54 PM
mine goes to my sump pump then into a dry well, so it goes back to the aquafer it came from(or the one above it)

cjcolvin
12/15/2013, 07:17 PM

That is awsome. I have accutally been thinking of doing that as well. We currently just have it run out to fill the dog bowl. Dogs always have water thought :beer:

President Evil
12/15/2013, 10:37 PM
Aside from using the water for washing clothes, and the usual watering of plants, I also use it to wash my car.. get a couple of buckets of water and go to work...

TampaSnooker
12/16/2013, 08:45 AM
I had 1/4" tubing with T's and valves run over my entire garden at my old house. Every bit of the garden got well watered and it was jammin.

As for using it in an African cichlid tank, it's already been dechlorinated - as long as you are keeping up with your carbon filter. Just look at the KH and pH of the waste water to make sure it's not too high. If your local water is relatively soft with low TDS, you're probably fine. My incoming water is quite high in TDS so I would have to test it before considering using it in my Malawi tank, even though they like swimming in liquid rock. My well water is just right as is for them.

Sugar Magnolia
12/16/2013, 08:45 AM
Mine goes directly into my washing machine. Filling up a 5 gallon jug gives me about 2/3 the amount of water to run a large load of laundry.

peter15
12/16/2013, 09:41 AM
I use mine to water the lawn

Shan69743
12/16/2013, 09:46 AM
great ideas, i'll have to start looking for a large holding tank.

Reeferz412
12/16/2013, 11:08 AM
I thought about this thread again. Since I use my RODI unit once every 2-3 weeks to fill a few five gallon buckets, I reserved an old beat up bucket for the waste water. I like to make my water during a water change to replace the water I am about to use. As the waste water bucket fills, I use that water to clean any equipment that requires ritual cleaning. I also used it to wash some rags I used that get encrusted with salt as I wipe down the floor as I do a WC. I filled another bucket with waste water and filled it with vinegar and dropped some powerheads that needed to be dipped. I use one bucket with a lid and collect the waste water to top off my outdoor fountain as well.

Ajskennels
12/24/2013, 12:36 PM
i have mine plumed into my dogs auto watering system

FuzzyZipperbaum
12/31/2013, 08:53 PM
And here I thought I was the only one running it to my pool! Mine runs over 40 feet underground popping out in the skimmer....

s2nhle
01/30/2014, 08:15 AM
I used waste water for plant in summer and to the drain in winter.

alexx2208
01/31/2014, 08:35 AM
Based on what your city's adding into the water, it could grow your grass faster. at least my city adds minerals that help grow plants, so when you make rodi water, the waste just has a higher concentration, and itll be even better.

johnpasternak
02/02/2014, 05:12 AM
I use it for my dogs water

bsagea
02/02/2014, 11:14 AM
Ours goes into our swimming pool and pond or 1 gal containers for watering the plants in the summer.