PDA

View Full Version : Your magic bullet for water clarity?

brvheart
10/02/2013, 04:12 PM
I don't really have an issue with maintaining water clarity, I'm just curious what factors people relate to their success maintaining ultimate water clarity; especially in a nano. There are some pretty cool big bad boy toys we can run on larger systems that are just not reasonable to run on a nano or AIO tank.

terrypercula
10/02/2013, 04:23 PM
Water movement and water changes. Just overall good husbandry.

Laguna viridis
10/03/2013, 01:24 AM
Good flow‚ good skimmer‚ water change and from time to time some fine filtration pad if there is just too much fine stuff in the water

CHG107
10/03/2013, 05:30 AM
Water changes, good flow, carbon/filter floss on an occasion. You do those 3 things and your water will be crystal clear

tgcreef
10/03/2013, 01:26 PM
Taking a 25 micron filter sock and cutting it up to fit in my filter compartment, it basically removes everything out of the water column. My tank is crystal clear all the time.

Clam guy
10/03/2013, 01:34 PM
I think running a little carbon once in a while gives the water that extra clarity your looking for.

brvheart
10/04/2013, 09:26 AM
Taking a 25 micron filter sock and cutting it up to fit in my filter compartment, it basically removes everything out of the water column. My tank is crystal clear all the time.
Have you compared the cut up filter sock to using filter floss? Do you use just one layer?

tgcreef
10/04/2013, 10:46 AM
Filter floss has its own micron level which is usually in the hundreds or higher. The filter sock removes a lot more waste. Think of it like this; phytoplankton has a micron size of 17 and you cant even make out the individual particles with your eyes, so at a 25 micron level I'm almost removing everything that flows through it. The trick to this process though is getting filter socks with the right micron size, most lfs sell ones around 100 micron.

brvheart
10/04/2013, 11:45 AM
Filter floss has its own micron level which is usually in the hundreds or higher. The filter sock removes a lot more waste. Think of it like this; phytoplankton has a micron size of 17 and you cant even make out the individual particles with your eyes, so at a 25 micron level I'm almost removing everything that flows through it. The trick to this process though is getting filter socks with the right micron size, most lfs sell ones around 100 micron.
Seems like the real trick would be to buy it bulk. Buying filter socks gets expensive. Especially just to cut them up. Getting someone to tell you the micron size of their felt seems like a fun process. NOT. (awesome, haven't used that nifty little trick in a while!)

tgcreef
10/04/2013, 06:03 PM
The filter sock is washable, all you do is throw it in the washing machine when its dirty so its pretty cheap, never have to buy and kind of filter stuff once i did it 6 months ago.