PDA

View Full Version : Live sand turning brown

martinipro
10/02/2013, 07:25 PM
I have a RSM130D. Tank has been running with fish for close to 3 months.

In the thank:
3 x peppermint shrimp
1 x royal gramma
2 x pearly jawfish
1 x talbot's damsel
snails
Zoa rock
Favia
Weslo

All parameters seem good, phostphate a bit high.
tmp 78, gravity 1.026, ph 8.4, Amonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10, Calcium 440, kh 10, phosphate closer to .25

On to the questions:

1. The Live sand seems to be turning brown all over the tank. Like in the following picture
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l610/martinipro/IMG_0091_zpse41b09c3.jpg
Any ideas what could be causing this?

2. Base rock I added is not turning purple but green. Is this normal or any way to stop this from happening?
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l610/martinipro/IMG_0092_zpsbbe3d51e.jpg

Noell.Mochinal
10/03/2013, 11:06 AM
Following along, I am having this same issue but don't have any pics to upload.

75 48"x18"x22"
80lbs LR
80lbs LS
2 peppermint shrimp
1 skunk cleaner
4 ~ 5 snails
2 clowns

Calappidae
10/03/2013, 11:11 AM
Diatoms or cyano, I can't tell the difference.

Both is common in new tanks... a skimmer, regular water changes, and less nutrients (Nitrates, phosphates etc.) and it will go away on it's own.

martinipro
10/03/2013, 11:13 AM
The brown spots? or the green algae growing on my rock?
Is it beneficial? If not how do I fight it?

Calappidae
10/03/2013, 11:18 AM
The brown spots? or the green algae growing on my rock?
Is it beneficial? If not how do I fight it?

The brown stuff on the sand is diatoms. Green hair or bryopsis is on your rocks. The bryopsis can easily be rid of with a CUC but the diatoms will have to go away on their own... they appear in new tanks. When phosphates and nitrates are high (from over stock or over feeding) then the algae will thrive. Do regular water changes and the diatoms should go away.
I have the issue myself in my 10 gallon mini-reef
http://i40.*******.com/e9ztoh.jpg

Tate
10/03/2013, 12:25 PM
Diatom outbreaks happen in all new tanks. Mine has also been up almost 3 months and is currently going through this phase.

Don't worry about it. Like others have said, do your regular water changes and it will run it's course.

martinipro
10/03/2013, 01:27 PM
OK, and regarding the green algae?

I have about 12-15 snails and they don't seem to be touching the green stuff. Is this caused by overfeeding? high phosphates? too much light? water quality?

I know I have to be careful with chemicals and additives now that I added coral

wilsonline
10/03/2013, 01:37 PM
looks like your tank haven't cycled totaly yet. try not to add any fish now. water changes if it do bad, but it doesn't looks bad in the pics. may also add some bio media filtration as siporax from Sera, looks to be the best one, but expensive; or matrix (Seachem) or fluval... and reduce feeding. and macro alge in display/sump/refuge. you can use biodigest to get more bacteria. many things can be donne export these nutrients.
and make sure your tds is 00.

Hobchoice1
10/03/2013, 01:46 PM
Agree on the diatoms, what is your water source? How often are you doing WC and how much?

Green could be coralline also.

martinipro
10/03/2013, 02:52 PM
tds?
It's a 34G tank, been doing 5-7 gallon water changes weekly(or when nitrates go above 20ppm, or nitrites above 0)
Source I use RO/DI water premixed by my LFS.

Hobchoice1
10/03/2013, 07:54 PM
When you do your water changes, do you stir up/vacuum the sand? If so, I would recommend that you stop as you might be disturbing the bacteria when you do.

Consider adding some bacteria in a bottle - Microbacter7 by Brightwell, Prime by Seachem, there are several others out there.

Have you asked the LFS what their TDS is? When we had our own store, we had no problems showing the customers.

martinipro
10/04/2013, 07:17 AM
I have not been stiring the sand during water changes.

I guess I'll add some bottled bacteria and let that tank run its cycle. Would limit my feeding to every other day help get rid of the green algae? Ill ask about tds this weekend since I will be there anyway.

1fishkeeper
10/04/2013, 08:08 AM
Just like everyone else said the brown stuff is diatoms. They will go away in time. As for the green on your rocks. That looks like Texas holey rock. I will work for live rock but its just going to take some time for it. You will see that it will come and go it just normal for a new tank with new dry rock to do this. It is a type of algae but its not green hair algae. Its more along the lines of green dust algae. Don't worry to much about it just keep up on your water changes and your tank will come around in time. Remember just sit back and enjoy it. Things take time in this hobby and it will get better.