PDA

View Full Version : TeHGuys build thread

TeHGuy
10/03/2013, 03:24 PM
Yay, I finally get to do one of these. Im in the process of moving and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to do things right. My current setup is a collection of half *** assemblies and plumbing. It was my learning centre.

In with the new:

I scored a 90g RR with a 3/4" reinforced plywood stand for $150, tank had barely been used but the stand left much to be desired. It was painted black, had no doors and had a chunk cut out of the front to fit the previous owners skimmer. The stand is VERY sturdy, might as well make use of it

The plan: strip the trim and clad it in maple, then redo the trim and stain. After 3 days of hard work the stand has been clad and stained. All of the edges with nail marks from cladding will be covered with solid maple mill work. I clad the stand and stained immediately as the wife is telling me that the priority needs to be to get it running. Ill add the trim and mill work after were done moving.

Maple + chocolate saman stain + finitec 3000 clear = real pretty.

The new sump is a basic 33 long with a 2 baffle bubble trap. After building it we realized that the sump wont fit in the stand. Oh well, I guess its going in the basement (really not sad about this). So we cut a hole in the bottom of the stand and lined it up with the floor vent that the stand was covering. This will make for a great minimally invasive install.

So down to the basement, built a 6'x2' stand at 4' tall. A little higher than it probably should have been but I guess its a few feet less head pressure on the pump (Blueline 70HD). I put up a plywood backsplash to protect the wall and mount equipment too, then painted it all with a kitchen/bath latex paint.

RO/DI is all mounted now. Getting 77psi in the new house, so much better than the previous 40psi.

Todays job was to install the bulkheads in the tank and paint the back glass black.

Tomorrow, we start to fill it and hook up the plumbing. Plumbing will be 1" spa flex up and down. A 4 port manifold will be added to the return for reactors and other fun stuff.

Pics below

TeHGuy
10/03/2013, 03:25 PM
More pics:

Patrick F
10/03/2013, 08:35 PM
I'm liking the transformation of the stand! The basement setups super clean too.

Looking forward to seeing it running!

Cheers,

Patrick

rossco838
10/05/2013, 12:56 PM
Hey its my old tank and stand. The new stand looks much better now. Best of luck, would love to see it running.