PDA

View Full Version : LED Lighting options and programming question

Jmcgreef
10/03/2013, 07:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I am exploring options for LED lighting over my 14 gallon nano, which will eventually house SPS when the time is right. While reading other members tank threads, I've noticed some discussing how they have programmed their LEDS to run at 100% intensity for a few hours a day. (I'm mainly talking about the AI Sol LED Module).

I was personally leaning more towards a Kessil a350; however, this discussion presented a few questions. As most of you know, the Kessil a350 is not programmable standalone, yet I believe both of these lights could be judged on the same "tier."

Barring all other variables, would an AI Sol system programmed to work up to a peak lasting a few hours (and back down again) produce better results than a Kessil running at fixed intensity for ~10 hours a day?

"Better" being defined as more optimal for coral growth and color. The white and blue led spread would also play a factor in coloration, but I use the word liberally.

P.S. I apologize ahead of time if this comes across as just another noobie to SPS keeping asking for a light opinion. I hope other's may find this information useful so they can make the best choice possible.

Nanook
10/03/2013, 08:16 PM
[moved]

zachts
10/03/2013, 09:49 PM
the main benefit to the "peak" lighting period is that you can keep more diverse coral populations in the same tank. Lower light corals will shut down during the peak and higher light SPS will thrive. During lower light polyps open up more which is good for both feeding LPS and SPS. This usually means a 4-6 hour peak and a 3-6 hour period of lower morning and evening light. it also extends the viewing time at lower light levels while minimizing nuisance algae growth. It is not really needed though and you'd likely get pretty close results from either setup.

Kevingsp
10/04/2013, 01:10 PM
i have A 120W led, 28/27 white/blue ratio...it comes with dimmable settings, is there a certain balance i can set to improve my coral growth or is leaving both colors on high output fine