PDA

View Full Version : Direct me to a good pump for my application

matiLanza
10/04/2013, 10:08 AM
hey everyone this is a simple question to ask. Basically I got a DIY bug so I glued some glass together and now my tank has a nano tank within its stand :D. 19"x9.5"x7.25" shallow little thing
So I don't want a bunch of pumps in my sump and I would like to know
question ->What is a good pump to run a return to my nano(have flow in there because there is no power head) and also run my 2fishies reactor? might make that 2 reactors in the future..

basically whats a cheap and good pump to get the job done and still have enough flow left for my nano.

cody6766
10/04/2013, 12:17 PM
Mag pumps are great for moving a bunch of water, but they use more energy (read: add heat to the water) than a lot of comparable pumps. I've been using an Ocean Runner 2500 as my return in my tank since 2008. It may not have the flow you need for your project, but they make larger pumps. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is a broken prop shaft, and I broke it. It's quiet and it has been nothing but reliable.

When my OR shaft broke, I borrowed a Mag 7 to fill in and noticed a few degrees increase in tank temp. The total system volume was about 35g or so. It was also a LITTLE louder, but not enough to make me not use it on another tank.

matiLanza
10/04/2013, 12:41 PM
thanks cody , I actually have a mag 9.5 for my return pump and it keeps my tank at a steady temp, 77-79, depending on my ac temp during the day which means ill never need a heater. That's why I asked because I don't want to add more heat and add to my bill since I already have the meg 9.5. My main question is what kind of gph should I be looking for to run both, there isn't much head pressure, under 12" of pluming ..I don't think a maxi jet will cut it for this one lol