PDA

View Full Version : How I caught my Resplendent Anthias.

allabarton
10/05/2013, 12:55 AM
A long store short after I added to the DT a healthy Australian Chelmon marginalis, the Marginalis Butterfly my Foxface, Trigger and 2 tangs developed Ich. My fault: I was afraid to use Cupramine on the Butterfly so he spend 6 weeks in QT just swimming around.
The next step: remove all the fish and place them in 40 g and 30 g hospital tanks and let the DT be fallow (fishless) for 9-12 weeks.
All fishes but the Anthias were easily moved out from the DT.
I have to say: it's 180 g 30" tall SPS tank. To drain 180 g water wasn't an option. Or let's say it was my last option.
I tried Acclimate trap. Since I was impatient (big mistake) I did not want to waste my time letting Anthias get used to feeding in the trap. As soon as he got in to grab his food I shot the door. Unfortunately not fast enough. No my little guy did not want to get close to the trap.
Next was DIY Coke bottle trap. Of course without any luck.
I tried a trick with the flashlight. It wasn't comfortable to hold the flashlight and try to catch a fish that is very fast and knows how to swim around. Of course I didn't dare to wake my husband up in the middle of the night to go fishing.
Next was a trip to Orvis. Fly fishing # 22 hook with Mysis and Brine as a bait. My hungry guy would swim so fast to the bait and stop abruptly them swim away. No idea what he didn't like.
2 weeks passed by. My next thought was a cast net. But I really didn't want to disturb my precious SPS corals.
So I decided to give LIGHT another chance. 4 x Echotech Radion PRO. I am not sure why I didn't try this first. One click and all 4 lights 100% intensity. Almost blind me. The guy was in shock. Literally. He was deep asleep. With 4 attempts not more than 90 seconds he was in the net.
I was do happy and wanted to share my experience.
Please, don't forget when trying to catch out a fish. We are smarter than the fish.

Thank you.

Alla

Winwood
10/05/2013, 09:29 AM
Blinded by the light. Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night.

bullitr
10/05/2013, 12:09 PM
The fish are easy to catch at night they are dazed for up to 5 minutes
Except anthias ...