PDA

View Full Version : Bulkheads and drains - Need help

AJsTank
10/05/2013, 07:16 AM
This is for my 400 gallon build. And I think I just realized I might have posted in the wrong section. sorry

I've got 4 -1 inch slip X slip and 4 - 1 1/2 inch slip X slip to tighten.

Glass is 5/8

How tight do I do these? Can it be too tight?

Also, do any of you seal with silicone in between the gasket and tank or gasket and lip of the bulkhead? I've heard of people doing it and I've also been told not to do it.

Under the tank, I 'm going to do unions right below the bulkhead on top I want to glue only the straight pieces into the the bulkhead. Is there anyone here that does NOT glue any of the drain pieces in the over flow boxes? I'm doing durso drains with an emergency drain as well in each overflow box.

dave.m
10/05/2013, 09:10 AM
You can use teflon tape on the bulkheads but my preference is to silicone them in like the Irish woman who would take two pills - to be sure, to be sure.

The only thing I can think of that would be hard on siliconed bulkheads would be if you had thread-to-thread or slip-to-thread since you might unknowingly over-turn a threaded connection and break the seal on the bulkhead. Since yours are slip-to-slip I can't see it being a problem. The only other reason not to silicone bulkheads is if you ever need to take them out later. You should be pretty sure that this is your final set-up before you start siliconing stuff in.

I don't glue the drain end inside the overflow to the slip on the bulkhead so that I can remove the drain pipe and get in there and clean out whatever has accumulated. The muck that settles in the bottom of the overflow can be a significant source of phosphates and nitrates in the tank.

Dave.M

AJsTank
10/05/2013, 10:14 AM
You can use teflon tape on the bulkheads but my preference is to silicone them in like the Irish woman who would take two pills - to be sure, to be sure.

The only thing I can think of that would be hard on siliconed bulkheads would be if you had thread-to-thread or slip-to-thread since you might unknowingly over-turn a threaded connection and break the seal on the bulkhead. Since yours are slip-to-slip I can't see it being a problem. The only other reason not to silicone bulkheads is if you ever need to take them out later. You should be pretty sure that this is your final set-up before you start siliconing stuff in.

I don't glue the drain end inside the overflow to the slip on the bulkhead so that I can remove the drain pipe and get in there and clean out whatever has accumulated. The muck that settles in the bottom of the overflow can be a significant source of phosphates and nitrates in the tank.

Dave.M

I have not picked up the bulk heads yet. I just spoke with a gentleman and he told me to do thread x thread. Use a schedule 80 coupling/thread on the pipe and then use laco pvc thread lubricant. That was I can get them undone if I ever need too.

ca1ore
10/05/2013, 02:47 PM
I do not use silicone sealant on bulkheads. Somebody once said to me that if sealant was needed for the bulkhead it would be included. Really isn't necessary. As long as you put the gasket on the flange side of the glass, just hand tighten the nut and then use a bulkhead wrench to go 1/4 turn further.

I also prefer slip x slip bulkheads on my DT and always glue in PVC. Frankly, the stuff is cheap enough that if you need to fix something just cut it out and replace. Make sure to dry fit all plumbing prior to glueing though. Problem with threaded fittings is they are more likely to leak and you run the risk of cracking a fitting if you use too much Teflon tape.