PDA

View Full Version : Filter Media Question

RuggerReef
10/06/2013, 11:59 PM
I am looking into adding a media reactor to my 75gal with a 20 gal sump. I am just not sure which media that I should use. Should I use GFO or PhosBlast in the reactor? I am planning using carbon in a filter sock that I am going to place in the sump using some egg crate to hold it in place.

Sugar Magnolia
10/07/2013, 08:54 AM
GFO is fine to use.

thegrun
10/07/2013, 09:11 AM
I switched from GFO to Blue Life PHOS Fx (it is a phosphate removing resin) three months ago and have been happy with the change. It (resin) is a little less expensive to run long term since it can be regenerated several times with a saline solution and it seems like I have less calcium precipitation with it than I did with GFO. Either product works well IMHO.

JeffyT
10/07/2013, 03:10 PM
I'm trying out a ChemiPure Elite. Its activated carbon mixed with GFO combo'd with Seachem's purigen. This was recommended to me by a fellow RC reefer. I wanted to invest in a reactor before as well. I have a 30g Innovative Marine NUVO. So my sump has two media baskets which is why I think its sufficient enough. I run two bags of ChemiPure Elite, 1 Bag Seachem Purigen and another bag of Seachem's Phosgaurd. But the phosgaurd is a sponge. you can't use it long term.