PDA

View Full Version : RIP bi-color angel (nature of death?)

babyduke
10/07/2013, 11:39 AM
Knock on wood, My tank has been set up almost 5 years and I've yet to have any fish die from any disease. I've had this bi-color angel from the beginning and my guess is that he's at least 6 yrs old. He had always been a happy go-getter and gotten along well with other fish. He was curious, active and ate well. For the last 3 weeks or so, he swam around slower and wasn't eating as well. There was no sign of any illness as he looked as healthy as ever. Still, he continued to display his usual curious behavior checking out snails and other critters. But he was definitely slower. He was my kids' and my favorite fish and we're pretty saddened by it. :(

I'm curious whether he died of natural causes from old age. What kind of signs do fish typically show when it's time to close the chapter?

Calappidae
10/07/2013, 11:41 AM
Water perimeters?

babyduke
10/07/2013, 12:31 PM
All water perimeters are in good range. Keeping healthy water is my #1 priority.

Calappidae
10/07/2013, 02:50 PM
All water perimeters are in good range. Keeping healthy water is my #1 priority.

What are they exactly.

billdogg
10/07/2013, 02:56 PM
If everything else is doing ok, and it didn't show any ovious signs of disease, I would guess that it was just it's time.

Also - the word is parameters. Your water's perimeters would be the sides of your tank.

KeepNitReel
10/07/2013, 03:21 PM
Why do people always ask for water parameters and never have an answer once they get the info, lol!!

dviper150
10/07/2013, 03:24 PM
Why do people always ask for water parameters and never have an answer once they get the info, lol!!

Because I think that's the basic place to start if there is a problem. Same reason why drs check blood pressure, temp, weight first when you go in for any illness.

KeepNitReel
10/07/2013, 03:38 PM
Because I think that's the basic place to start if there is a problem. Same reason why drs check blood pressure, temp, weight first when you go in for any illness.

Dudes tank has been running for 5 years, I'm sure he wouldn't have made a thread before checking the basics. If the water parameters were unusual I'm sure he would've included that in the original post.

KeepNitReel
10/07/2013, 03:41 PM
If someone has an algae problem, the first question is "are you using Ro?" They respond yes, then the thread is silent, lol!!!

Calappidae
10/07/2013, 04:31 PM
If everything else is doing ok, and it didn't show any ovious signs of disease, I would guess that it was just it's time.

Also - the word is parameters. Your water's perimeters would be the sides of your tank.

Sorry my bad, I'm not exactly doing well in my spelling class.

billdogg
10/07/2013, 04:58 PM
No problem, we all have those sort of days!

Oh and the work I was looking for was...obvious, obviously. lol

babyduke
10/08/2013, 10:53 AM
I just wanted to find out what the typical signs are for aging fish that are close to the end of the road.

Parameter

salinity - 1.025
ph - 8
temp - 78
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 8 ppm
phosphate - .025

FTDelta
10/08/2013, 11:38 AM
I doubt water condition is the cause of death. Besides, he had the fish for 6 years. Geez,
cut him some slack. 6 years is a long time to have fish in a tank. Some live longer. Not sure if there is any hints/signs of fish aging.

babyduke
10/08/2013, 01:09 PM

Not to sound cynical but in general from what I've seen at forums, they don't usually have much to offer but just want to sound like they know about fishkeeping.

When someone asks about illness or death of a fish on forums, wouldn't you assume that he already has checked the condition of the tank water? I certainly would.

Calappidae
10/08/2013, 01:41 PM
Not to sound cynical but in general from what I've seen at forums, they don't usually have much to offer but just want to sound like they know about fishkeeping.

When someone asks about illness or death of a fish on forums, wouldn't you assume that he already has checked the condition of the tank water? I certainly would.

You can't assume that they have the proper conditions.

My one tank for example has ammonia spikes daily and I never lost anything as of yet (running for 6 months) I could easily say my water was good too because they lived in it for such a long time. Better to know the offical parameters (did I say the right one this time :D)

And apperantly .. the water chemistry is good so thats not the issue. Its most likely age.. who knows how old it was when collected as well.

+1

KeepNitReel
10/08/2013, 06:08 PM
You can't assume that they have the proper conditions.

My one tank for example has ammonia spikes daily and I never lost anything as of yet (running for 6 months) I could easily say my water was good too because they lived in it for such a long time. Better to know the offical parameters (did I say the right one this time :D)

And apperantly .. the water chemistry is good so thats not the issue. Its most likely age.. who knows how old it was when collected as well.

+1

Your comparing your tank that has been running 6 months versus a tank that's been running for 5 years? SMH

Calappidae
10/08/2013, 07:08 PM
Your comparing your tank that has been running 6 months versus a tank that's been running for 5 years? SMH

Obviously you didn't understand the message of the example.. I've already explained it once...

KeepNitReel
10/08/2013, 07:14 PM
I don't think anyone understood your example.

Calappidae
10/08/2013, 08:30 PM
I don't think anyone understood your example.

My water quality is bad and I had fish living in it for months...

If one fish randomly died, I could say that my water quality wasn't the cause because it's been living in there for a long time...

His water for all we know could've had high nitrates killing his fish and just "thinking" his water was perfectly fine... better to ask.

babyduke
10/09/2013, 08:54 AM
I know everyone here's only trying to help but I just can't helping thinking this.
I mean bad water is like the root of all evil in majority of the problems in fish tank. If a fish dies with no apparent reason, I would think anyone with the slightest knowledge would first check the parameter of the water before posting a question. If anything is off, ie high ammonia or nitrate, then that would be the looked as the biggest possible reason and you wouldn't even post a question.

I don't think anyone would say "check the water parameter?!? snap, why didn't I think of that!!!! thanks!!!". I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here but I believe most people post questions when they're at their wits' end and checking water parameter was already the first thing that's been done.

TankStudy
10/09/2013, 09:27 AM
I've studed the aging of fish in my goldfish and kois and have found alot of fish follow this trend, not all but many. Some of the signs of age is diet and activeness. Like old people, they start eating a lot less and aren't as active. Still sorta lively but not as darty or crazy as when juvenile or early-middle adulthood. Early-middle age adult koi and goldfish are reckless and run around like mad for food but when they start getting old they are slow and I mean really slow, they come at you like turtles vs. speed boats. Once they become turtle like, its only a matter of time. I've seen some really old clownfish, 9 years old and they were awful awful slow. They are already slow as is too.

Unfortunately this probably won't work well on fish or creatures that are, well, already slow eaters lol.

Calappidae
10/09/2013, 09:51 AM
I know everyone here's only trying to help but I just can't helping thinking this.
I mean bad water is like the root of all evil in majority of the problems in fish tank. If a fish dies with no apparent reason, I would think anyone with the slightest knowledge would first check the parameter of the water before posting a question. If anything is off, ie high ammonia or nitrate, then that would be the looked as the biggest possible reason and you wouldn't even post a question.

I don't think anyone would say "check the water parameter?!? snap, why didn't I think of that!!!! thanks!!!". I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here but I believe most people post questions when they're at their wits' end and checking water parameter was already the first thing that's been done.

I can point out many many people that never heard of testing their water. Most of my LFS never even suggested doing so... If I had to make a checklist of any possible reasons why a fish died in someones tank.. I wouldn't be able to scratch off the water quality. IMHO

My local petco never told me to test my water... I had to tell them to test it and they are a store susposing they know what to do with their animals.

babyduke
10/09/2013, 10:00 AM
I've studed the aging of fish in my goldfish and kois and have found alot of fish follow this trend, not all but many. Some of the signs of age is diet and activeness. Like old people, they start eating a lot less and aren't as active. Still sorta lively but not as darty or crazy as when juvenile or early-middle adulthood. Early-middle age adult koi and goldfish are reckless and run around like mad for food but when they start getting old they are slow and I mean really slow, they come at you like turtles vs. speed boats. Once they become turtle like, its only a matter of time. I've seen some really old clownfish, 9 years old and they were awful awful slow. They are already slow as is too.

Unfortunately this probably won't work well on fish or creatures that are, well, already slow eaters lol.

Speaking of an old clownfish, my tomato clown's approximately 7-8 yrs old and he's also slowed down a bit 'though he still eats well. He doesn't "travel" as far from one side to another anymore to feed. Just like human, I think his vision isn't as good either. Aging sucks!

KeepNitReel
10/09/2013, 10:25 AM

Well said