PDA

View Full Version : It's always something :(

athompson
10/07/2013, 05:09 PM
Ive had my 10 gallon nano for about 4 months. My corals are thriving, my params are within normal limits, and generally my tank is doin well; however it feels like im constantly in assault mode, battling some nuisance in my tank. First it was aiptasia that showed up on a coral frag. Next it was bubble algae that showed up with some zoas. Then it was cyano. Now its bryopsis. Is it normal to always feel on the defensive with my tank?I have 4 freshwater tanks and have never battle problem after problem like this. Is this the nature of the beast with saltwater?

turboreef318
10/07/2013, 07:06 PM
No....if you take precautions and try to find the root cause of the problems and not just treat the symptoms. A good quarantine regemine will eliminate unwanted hitchhikers coming in on frags. I have a 20 long with a simple t5 that any coral goes into before it makes it to the DT. As far as the cyano and hair algae problems, I would question what you say are normal parameters. These nuisance algae problems are caused by excess nutrients. Make sure there is adequate flow, bulbs have been changed in a decent schedule, and ensure that you are not introducing unwanted nutrients into the tank, such as excessive feeding, not using ro water, etc. Problems may arise from time to time, but learning to treat the root causes of the problems and not the symptoms will save a lot of headaches.

athompson
10/07/2013, 08:05 PM
I have only used ro/di water since starting. Clean up crew is 4 ceriths, 2 nass, 3 astraea's. Its only a 10 gallon nano. Photoperiod is 2 hours of actinic onlys, 6 hours of all lights, 8 hours total. I have 1 black percula, 1 duncan ( who has grown 4 new heads since owning him for 2 months), 2 zoa colonies ( also spreading like wildfire), 1 ric florida, 1 blasto and 1 candy cane. Salinity stays at 1.025 topping of with ato with fresh ro di water. Phos amd nitrates read zero with salifert but im sure the bryop is skewin that a lil. Amm and nitrite zero, calcium 430, kh 9.6, ph 8.1, mag 1600 ( increased for bryop but usually stays around 1250) and temp 80. These params are stable. Lighting is t5hos and a strip of leds. I feed frozen food every other day, run a skimmer and do 1 gal pwc once a week. I dip my corals in coralrx.

zachfishman
10/08/2013, 07:32 PM
You'll always be battling, fixing, tweaking, changing, upgrading... something. Some battles are tougher than others, but you are never "done" with a reef tank. It'd get awfully boring if you could be!

Imjustgud
10/08/2013, 07:39 PM
There will always be something. Turboreef318 is right. You need to be more cautious about the items you buy to put in your tank. The hard part in the beginning is learning what to look for. Many of us have there, done that too.

Reeferz412
10/09/2013, 08:15 AM
I have encountered all these problems and there is a wealth of info and many methods to kill off these pests. take it day by day and remember that there is no quick solution to many of these pests, patience is key.

TankStudy
10/09/2013, 08:57 AM
Dear lord, bryopsis, that is a monster there. Easy to maintain when caught early but unstoppable once it has a foot hold.

Spyderturbo007
10/09/2013, 09:25 AM
Pick up some Tech M and over a couple days, bump up your Mg levels to 1600-1700ppm. The Bryopsis should be gone in about a week and sometime sooner. Then hold it there for an additional week to ensure that all of the Bryopsis is gone and then bring down the Mg with some water changes.

That's how I got rid of mine. Some of your corals might get a little cranky, but it won't do them any harm.

Kyle918
10/09/2013, 10:45 AM
Seems your like you are experiencing new tank syndrome. A 4 month old tank is still maturing stability wise. It is almost expected to have algae outbreaks through the first 6-12 months of the tank being established. It'll level out on its own. You can help it though as other have said. Trying to minimize excess nutrients in the tank, feeding less or minimizingf the excess frozen fluids from getting into the tank by thawing out the food in a cup and draining the excess fluids. Reducing your light schedule can help also.

What are you using filtration wise for this tank? Are you using a hob filter by chance?? If so that could be your problem.

athompson
11/18/2013, 10:05 PM
Seems your like you are experiencing new tank syndrome. A 4 month old tank is still maturing stability wise. It is almost expected to have algae outbreaks through the first 6-12 months of the tank being established. It'll level out on its own. You can help it though as other have said. Trying to minimize excess nutrients in the tank, feeding less or minimizingf the excess frozen fluids from getting into the tank by thawing out the food in a cup and draining the excess fluids. Reducing your light schedule can help also.

What are you using filtration wise for this tank? Are you using a hob filter by chance?? If so that could be your problem. yes i am using a hob, BUT i just bought the reed octopus skimmer for nanos. It hasnt came in yet tho.

Well i was getting a little frustrated when i posted this. So far i seem to have everything but the darn bryopsis under control. It's for some reason nearly impossible to get and maintain my mag levels over 1500. I have tried hydrogen peroxide to kill the bryopsis and that actually works but man it ****ed my candy cane off. Ive been taking it out of the water when i squirt the bryopsis. It is much better but i hate to keep pulling the candy cane in and out for the peroxide. Currently im on day 3 of the mag increase. Ive been increasing by 100ppm per day. Ill let yall know how it goes. Here's an updated pic of my tank.

Sk8r
11/19/2013, 11:31 AM
Algae comes in cycles. Usually hair is the easiest to get rid of.

Calappidae
11/19/2013, 01:02 PM
Your algae problem was nothing compared to mine:
http://i44.*******.com/6jlq8w.png
My 29 gallon 1 year ago when I first started..

Don't give up, also note that a 10 gallon is going to be a pain to manage as the smaller tanks have bigger swings in parameters.

athompson
11/19/2013, 03:53 PM
Im not giving up :) i have been reinvigorated mainly because i broke my leg and screwed my knee up really bad, so i cant work. My fishtanks have been my entertainment lol.

IowaReefer
11/19/2013, 05:33 PM
Sorry everyone, I must disagree with the gloom and doom that there is ALWAYS a battle. I have been at this for quite a while and have gone YEARS between issues. Even when I do have problems, it is always my fault, i.e. moving, over-stocking, not QT-ing fish, etc.

Keep your head up, it gets easier.