PDA

View Full Version : Came home to a 92 degree tank

jtp79
10/07/2013, 05:15 PM
When I left for work this morning everything was fine. Got home and noticed the corals were all closed up. I checked the temperature monitor and it was 92.1 degrees and the monitor was blinking, dont know if a power surge caused it to malfunction or what.

Its a 90 gallon tank, I did a 20 percent water change and temp is down to 87 now and falling. I turned off the MH lights. All of the fish and inverts seem fine and are active but all of the corals are closed up completely.

Have I killed them or just shocked them? The pipe organ was completely closed up, the frogspawn and hammer were very shrunken but still out and the duncan was shriveled but not closed completely. They all looked like they did after shipping, dont look dead and still have color but Im worried.

Should I be worried or no? Will they be ok?

MARINECRITTERS
10/07/2013, 08:29 PM
They are very stressed right now, Just slowly lower the temperature I think you should be fine, putting water bottles filled with ice in the water can help.
I would get a new heater as well ( eheim jager's are good ), a tank controller can prevent this from happening as well.
How hot does your home get, a chiller may be necessary, unless this was just a complete heater malfunction.

Calappidae
10/07/2013, 09:59 PM
Those MH will heat up the tank... my one friend accidentally left them on all night one day and everything burned up...

My relative told me he had to put ice cubes in his tank constantly...

Get a chiller

Bowels
10/07/2013, 10:03 PM
Yeeeah sane thing happened to me today bro... tstorms fried my heater (is my guess) either way greater went crazy and stayed on fir how long idk... but tank was 102. Lost a ton so far :( but fir sure a few snails have survived! So... all hope isn't list...im def investing in a controller asap.

Calappidae
10/07/2013, 10:15 PM
Slowly add ice cubes to the tank after you shut the lights off... just to bring it down... for now... then either find new lights or buy a chiller guys.

SUMIXAM
10/07/2013, 10:25 PM
Controllers are our friends!! I just need to read up some more to learn more about them. I'm sure there's plenty of people that have all kinds of fancy programming, but we can all start with some simple commands at the start....

Here's an older video from the BRS guys...
Controllers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97kfsyF4hqc#ws)

AdrianOcampo
10/08/2013, 01:25 AM
wow horrid

btmedic04
10/08/2013, 01:57 AM
oooph sorry to hear about this bud. its a good thing you got home when you did! that BRS vid is really solid info on a controller. helped me make up my mind on getting one!

chain
10/08/2013, 04:26 AM
Controllers are our friends!! I just need to read up some more to learn more about them. I'm sure there's plenty of people that have all kinds of fancy programming, but we can all start with some simple commands at the start....

Here's an older video from the BRS guys...
Controllers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97kfsyF4hqc#ws)

Like he said. I am a noob, been in the hobby less than a year. I put one of these on my heater for my nano cube and seems to work well. It's cheap enough that the added insurance is well worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Max-300-Digital-Aquarium-Controller/dp/B007480AP6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381227905&sr=8-2&keywords=finnex+controller

Rbs07fxstc
10/08/2013, 04:47 AM
+1 controller, they are very easy to setup just for simple things at first. Sorry to hear about heater problems. Every year I see post like this about malfunctioning heaters. Invest in a quality heater also.

jtp79
10/08/2013, 06:26 AM
Ive got a controller on my heater. Not sure of the brand but it has a temperature setting and controls the heater on and off. The metal halides did not cause this, they normally warm the tank about 1.8 degrees in the 7 hours that it was on.

This morning the tank was back down to 81 degrees, it normally stays at 79 so it almost got back to normal temp through the night.

only thing I can think is a power surge messed with the temp controller, I unplugged it and plugged it back in and reset it and everything appears to be working correctly now.

SUMIXAM
10/08/2013, 03:34 PM
Like he said. I am a noob, been in the hobby less than a year. I put one of these on my heater for my nano cube and seems to work well. It's cheap enough that the added insurance is well worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Max-300-Digital-Aquarium-Controller/dp/B007480AP6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381227905&sr=8-2&keywords=finnex+controller

NICE!!! That's way better than nothing!!