PDA

View Full Version : ID and how to get rid of them?

Calappidae
10/08/2013, 08:37 AM
I got millions of these stringy, white, long, worm like things coming out of my rocks..

They look like the third photo of ctenophores from chuck's odds and ends hitchhiking page.

Calappidae
10/08/2013, 08:43 AM
I think it might be spionid worms...

Sugar Magnolia
10/08/2013, 09:15 AM
Could be cirratulids or terrebellids. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/rs/

Calappidae
10/08/2013, 11:44 AM
Yeah, they look like that but I only see 3 tentacles coming out. And they are all over the rock..

Any ideas on getting rid of them?

Sugar Magnolia
10/08/2013, 01:29 PM
You don't want to get rid of them. They're highly beneficial as they clean up any detritus in and on the rockwork. The population is determined by the availability of food. If you are a heavy feeder, you'll have lots of them. Feed less and the population will decrease.

Calappidae
10/08/2013, 01:29 PM
You don't want to get rid of them. They're highly beneficial as they clean up any detritus in and on the rockwork. The population is determined by the availability of food. If you are a heavy feeder, you'll have lots of them. Feed less and the population will decrease.

Huge diatom and hair algae outbreak... frozen rotting starfish from harlequins... yep they will have a good time in there.

I got like 5 bristle worms living in one rock... (10 gallon btw) and I found a tiny little fire worm... and I caught another HUGE fire worm.

peasofme
10/08/2013, 01:49 PM
are you sure it was a fireworm and not just a regular bristleworm? a lot of people mistake them.

Calappidae
10/08/2013, 02:10 PM
are you sure it was a fireworm and not just a regular bristleworm? a lot of people mistake them.

You tell me:

http://i40.*******.com/29dcme.jpg

Sorry for poor quality... not easy to take a photo with a nintendo 3ds camera through a water bottle with all those dents in it...

It just looks like a red bristle worm.. and its currently 4 inches in length.

peasofme
10/08/2013, 02:15 PM
can't tell, but check the sticky on this forum. check the google image search post there.