PDA

View Full Version : Does this seem like a good deal?

robpardee
10/08/2013, 09:42 AM
I'm looking at upgrading my tank when I move so that I can have the new one in place already ready to go. Here is a link to the tank for sale:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/4040404163.html

And I've attached another pic without the stand that they seller sent me.

My question is what are your thoughts about the overflow that is in the center? Would I likely be able to drill a new overflow on the right side of the tank on the bottom and install my own setup to run to the basement?

My new house has a eating area with a half wall seperating it and the living room that is only around 3 feet tall. I was thinking of putting a tank like this there and then have it visible from both sides. Which is why I'd rather have the overflow at the one end which will be just behind a wall. I would of course have to build a hood.

Looking for input on the subject.

TankStudy
10/08/2013, 09:47 AM
I'm guessing your going to plug up the center drilled holes then.

I no expert in glass but if it already has holes in it, maybe it is drillable, therefore allowing you to do what you'd like.

robpardee
10/08/2013, 09:49 AM
I've added a picture incase it helps, That's what I was thinking.

Sacohen
10/08/2013, 09:52 AM
Chances are that it is still drillable.
The only possibility is if the holes were drilled by the manufacturer and then the glass was tempered after the fact.

Here is an article on how to tell if glass is tempered or not.

http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?9542-How-to-tell-if-glass-is-tempered

TankStudy
10/08/2013, 09:56 AM
o yes, I forgot to mention, that was a great price for that tank. Wish someone around me did that lol.

robpardee
10/08/2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks so far for the input! That's a great article, I'll have to see what I can find out about the bottom being tempered or not. I actually have seen several tanks up here in the 125 gallon range for 3-500 depending on what is with it. I just can't seem to find the right one like I described in my first post for that space.

robpardee
10/08/2013, 05:16 PM
Decided it might be better to buy a new tank locally and build the stand. I started a new thread about it in the DIY section. This tank looks like it will be 12" too short to be visible over my 3' half wall that divides the eating area and living room