PDA

View Full Version : Endemic South African Sharks

Blue Ring Sting
10/08/2013, 07:24 PM
Hi all

Here are some more pictures of endemic fish to SA. For all shark lovers you will only find these guys on our coast.

Let me know what you think? Will try and get some actual pictures on my next dive!

jjk_reef00
10/09/2013, 12:54 AM
Very cool!

r-balljunkie
10/09/2013, 01:16 AM
hows the diving in SA? dont you have some bigguns, shark wise in the water? were lucky to see a tiger shark here, never seen one personally.....only black tips, white tips and other reef sharks. cool pics

Blue Ring Sting
10/09/2013, 01:01 PM
SA diving is great! Our Indian ocean dives are preferable because of the Atlantic being so cold. Yes most definitely. We have really big (really big!!!) great whites. We did a dive today at a wreck off one of our great white hotspots and just before we went in, we were told that a great white was spotted in the area recently and that if it appeared we would need to remove our fins and crawl on the sand to shore. Not fun. But viz was about 8 - 10 m today which made things so much better. We have cow sharks, occassionally tigers, makos and raggies. Hows diving in the South Pacific? I really want to give it ago sometime.

Zoodiver
10/09/2013, 04:34 PM
Nice. I used to have several Pyjamas awhile back. I love the stripes on them. Very cool sharks to watch.

Blue Ring Sting
10/09/2013, 06:49 PM
Saw some today on a dive. How much did you pay for them if you dont mind me asking? they awesome.

r-balljunkie
10/09/2013, 06:51 PM
Could you please grab a great white by the tail, haul him up to the topside of the boat and snap a photo please. It would really make this thread complete :)

Diving is lovely here. We love to complain around here, but its pristine 85 degree water with tons of wrecks and tons of reef to enjoy.

Blue Ring Sting
10/09/2013, 06:57 PM
Yeah, you guys must have awesome conditions. Lovely temp, great viz and awesome fish!

Lol. I wish I could! Maybe pull a few teeth out while Im at it. ;-). Next dive I will try and get a nice shot if any are near by. Its fine seeing a great white, but when you dont see it anymore....... thats when sh*t gets real!

Zoodiver
10/10/2013, 04:44 AM
Saw some today on a dive. How much did you pay for them if you dont mind me asking? they awesome.

Traded a few various captive born sharks for them.

hkarmy25
10/10/2013, 10:42 PM
The second picture, what type of shark? Those spots are almost like a leopards (the cat not the shark). Absolutely gorgeous...

Blue Ring Sting
10/11/2013, 12:32 PM
Its a shyshark. I believe its called the leopard shyshark. They are lovely. I saw 1 on a wreck dive recently.

hkarmy25
10/11/2013, 08:47 PM
Great name. Not too familiar with certain sharks, but im guessing they arent available in the trade, atleast not cheap? Would be cool to see in the right hands...

Blue Ring Sting
10/12/2013, 12:19 PM
I have not seen them available before zoodiver has had them before. I dont think they would be cheap considering collection and shipping. I agree. Where are the shark freaks?

fish stalker
10/12/2013, 02:18 PM
:beer:A fellow South African I certainly miss our oceans and the inhabitants but spoilt here with online shopping

Naptalene
10/12/2013, 03:05 PM
Shame, someone just got taken out by a great white in J-bay yesterday I believe. Apparently just wrong place at the wrong time.

Blue Ring Sting
10/12/2013, 04:30 PM
:beer: South Africans everywhere! Lol. Great to see.

Yeah he was snorkelling and the great white attacked him. I posted a thread in scuba/snorkelling.