PDA

View Full Version : dying corals?

HollieBeattie
10/08/2013, 07:57 PM
hey everyone..

I recently bought a tropical saltwater tank, it had been running for a few years but I bought it off the guy who set it up about 3months ago

I have:
1 blue chromis
2 small clownfish
2damsels
1coral beauty
1flame angel
1 bicoloured foxface
1 blue starfish (its not looking great.. white flesh showing.. don't think he will make it)
the tank is about 300L (80g)

the problem is... my corals arnt looking too great.. I had to get a tang out of the tank before I could add more fish.. I disturbed the rocks that the coral were on while trying to get the tang out.. and since then the corals haven't really been the same.. only coming out for about an hour per day. but i haven't seen the coral properly out for about a week and a half..

also my anemone isn't looking great

ive checked everything.. the water is perfect, the flow is great, i haven't changed the lighting..

im just so worried ive done something to the poor corals. :(

PLEASE HELP!

(p.s don't be mean to me.. im new to this and just need help)

ClippersTown
10/08/2013, 09:54 PM
It might not have been a good idea for a starter to start off with corals and a nem... But for your problem, have you tested the water? Maybe while moving things around, you disturbed the sand bed?(if you have one)

rich850
10/08/2013, 09:59 PM
Alright I will lead off being mean ...just kidding...but have you done a water change? What corals do you have? What lights are on the tank? What is this perfect water testing include? Alkalinity? Calcium? Magnesium? Nitrates? Phosphates? Ammonia? Are you running carbon? Dosing anything? Are you using old test kits that came with the tank? Are you using rodi water? I know thats a lot of questions but that's a start to get an idea of what's really going on.

HollieBeattie
10/08/2013, 10:36 PM
the tank came with the corals and anemone.

and i have tested the nitrates,nitrites, ph, magnesium all are fine. i am using old testing stuff though... so maybe its wrong.. ill get some new ones tomorrow and test again.
the corals i have are:
2 toadstool corals (not sure the proper name but thats what they look like..)
1 goniopora (which i recently put into the tank.. about a day after i put it in everyone started dying/not looking well)
a few others that i dont know the name of.

as for lighting: i have an odyssea. daylight balanced tungsten hallogen (dad just said that.. dunno what it is.. lol) i run the white/yellowish light throughout the day and switch to a blue light for about 3hours before turning lights off for the night. the white/yellow light that i turn on in the morning gradually becomes bright so i dont think it would shock the corals (would it??)

i have a very very light sand bed. hardly covering.

i did a water change this morning.

thanks.

also.. my dad thinks that the water might be too salty... just a guess

rich850
10/10/2013, 01:57 AM
What's the salinity? 1.026? Your light is definitely not a fixture I would use to keep an anemone. Also, when was the last time the bulbs were changed? Anemones will put off toxins when extremely stressed. Toadstools are leather corals that put off a little toxin in the water column but moreso when they are stressed.

rich850
10/10/2013, 02:01 AM
Alkalinity and calcium are important to keep stable. It doesnt sound like you have corals with a high demand for calcium and alk so weekly or bi weekly water changes combined with a little better lighting should make your tank more successful.

HollieBeattie
10/10/2013, 03:07 PM
thankyou. :) ill try changing the light and check the salinity. :D