PDA

View Full Version : slip x slip as safe as threaded?

YoungREEFA
10/09/2013, 11:18 AM
Is using a slip x sip gate valve for my herbie as safe as using the threaded one? I will have to apply pvc cement right?

TeHGuy
10/09/2013, 11:22 AM
Theyre about equal. Both require care in gluing or taping. The only benefit to thread is that if you reconfigure your setup, you can salvage the fitting. In the case of a gate valve, they arent exactly cheap.

jimmyj7090
10/09/2013, 11:24 AM
Either will work fine.

Personally I don't cement anything I don't have to. Since the valve on a herbie typically sits right above the sump, no harm if it drips slightly and nothing particularly terrible would happen if the valve fell off (which probably wouldn't happen since simple friction fitting usually holds things together pretty well)

Annie3410
10/09/2013, 11:32 AM
i prefer slip fittings. There is always a chance of over-tightening threaded fittings, causing them to crack eventually. Once you add the pipe compound, it is very easy to tighten too much. Cementing slip fittings is as simple as it gets. Prime, glue, push, twist, hold : )

NanoReefWanabe
10/09/2013, 06:57 PM
Theyre about equal. Both require care in gluing or taping. The only benefit to thread is that if you reconfigure your setup, you can salvage the fitting. In the case of a gate valve, they arent exactly cheap.

if you plan it properly there shouldnt be any need to reconfigure...as long as you have a good couple inches of pipe either side of the valve you should be able to salvage it anyway...

personally i much prefer slip slip, as mentioned it is almost impossible to mess it up..

ca1ore
10/09/2013, 08:56 PM
I tend to favor slip fittings, less things to go wrong. I can think of at least two occasions where an overtightened thread caused a crack and a flood chez moi.