PDA

View Full Version : Question about hot pink RBTA

DrewBrees713
10/09/2013, 06:41 PM
I got one from a LFS that was right next to a bigger typical RBTA. Was told that it split. IS that even possible for a RBTA to split to a hot pink?

FlyPenFly
10/09/2013, 06:45 PM
Hot pink sounds like bleached/panic'd rose red IMO but hard to tell without a true picture.

DrewBrees713
10/09/2013, 06:49 PM
It's eating though. ..shrug.

saf1
10/09/2013, 06:54 PM
Hmm, I am no expert but when mine splits it always is the same color. Maybe it is the lights, maybe it is how it works, I really don't know. However, the 3 splits so far are always the same...

Edit: Upper left is the mother / primary. It originally started out about the size of a golf ball. I thought maybe it was starving or in a death spiral. However, it split to the one on the lower left. Recently the top one split again and is mixed on the top although you can't really see it. When they all 3 fully expand the poor 29 gallon bio cube is tapped out in space. Just no room left at all. If I was to do this over I'd never buy one of those again. They are monsters...

DrewBrees713
10/09/2013, 08:46 PM
Saf1

Alot of folks would kill to have your problem LOL

CedzAquAddictio
10/09/2013, 10:06 PM
Ouch. That anenome is definetely bleached.
How long have you had it?
How old is your tank? I'm asking because your rock looks relatively new.
How often does the anenome move around if any movement happens?
Lighting?
Parameters?
How did the other anenomes in the store that you brought them look?

You can probably nurse it back to health, but it'd take some patience, and probably some money depending on the answers above. If I were in your shoes, I'd take it back, and have them explain why they sold me a bleached and possibly sickened anenome after they gave me my money back.

Here's mine. Its the result of a split about 4 months ago. Started out the size of a quarter.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/10/ty6aqaqy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/10/ne3e2uzu.jpg

If you decide to keep it, let us know, and we'll see what we can do to help...

Best of luck!!!

CedzAquAddictio
10/09/2013, 10:19 PM
Some say an anenome will split when the tank is doing well. Some say an anenome will split when it is aggravated and unhappy. Some say they bubble for the same reason. I'm still not sure which one is right or wrong. Different anenomes will behave differently in different tanks.

I am by far, no expert, but the only time my anenomes have split was when they were aggravated. When I did my tank upgrade, my anenome would not move from the rock. I put a large powerhead facing it over night, and the anenome was definetely annoyed. I expected to awake to it moving around, but instead, it split 3 times over night. The original anenome was still in the rock where it was originally.

The color never faded, and it never moves or splits once it finds it's happy spot in the DT, and it is hosting two maroon clowns and an anenome crab at the same time.

DrewBrees713
10/09/2013, 11:22 PM
Bought the anemone yesterday. Paid $20 for it so it's worth trying. Tank only been up for six weeks. I have led strip light designed for FO + Home Depot Led that I was using for sps frags in the sump and to my surprise my frags grew.

I fed it frozen blood worm and it didn't spit it back out so that's a good sign.

BrianB421
10/10/2013, 05:34 AM
Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but 6 weeks is almost always too soon for an anemone. They need an established tank with consistent water parameters to survive. Small fluctuations will have a big impact them. I hope for both it's sake and yours that it pulls through. Stay on top of your husbandry, invest in good lighting, and keep your fingers crossed.

ontop27
10/10/2013, 05:44 AM
For $20 its not bad but i would be mad with the store. Hot pink..yea right. But id be more worried about your Frankenstein light. I have home depot leds over my fuge. Most likely its 6500k. Get a par30 boost bulb they are cheap.

Spyderturbo007
10/10/2013, 07:36 AM
What's on the side of your yellow tang CedzAquAddictio? Or is that something on the glass?

CedzAquAddictio
10/10/2013, 08:05 AM
OP: Your tank was a little young for an anenome, and your anenome would eally need some better lighting... Any chance of you taking the anenome back, and trading it in for a fish? It may be best to try the anenome later when your tank is more mature, and you have better lighting...

Spyderturbo007: It's something on the glass. I haven't scraped my glass in 3 or 4 days.

vitz
10/10/2013, 09:27 AM
a split anemone leaves two genetically identical anemones. they should be the exact same color.

either the lighter anemone WASN'T a split from the other, or something's going on w/it, imo.

DrewBrees713
10/10/2013, 12:33 PM
But id be more worried about your Frankenstein light..

You can insult me but I'd go postal if you insulted my light ;0)

I think my HD light is an Ecosmart Par 38 LED.

This morning before I cut on the light it opened a bit more compared to last night with the light on. Guess it's still adjusting to the light?

Did a 10% WC also.

lakereef
10/10/2013, 12:41 PM
I agree with others, splits will look exactly the same.

Here's a pic of my hot pink nem.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2bFV8vrVpcMOlBeKri_ys4GStVGuUeeabPBXFpwPayc=w855-h617-no

I've had it for about a year and it's split once. Both look identical.

DrewBrees713
10/10/2013, 12:49 PM
Mine is hot pink at the tips only. Transparent along the tubes.

TeHGuy
10/10/2013, 01:03 PM
my RBTA went hot pink because I wasn't feeding it often enough...

vitz
10/10/2013, 01:30 PM
You can insult me but I'd go postal if you insulted my light ;0)

I think my HD light is an Ecosmart Par 38 LED.

This morning before I cut on the light it opened a bit more compared to last night with the light on. Guess it's still adjusting to the light?

Did a 10% WC also.

i'd take a good hard look at my lighting setup, if i were you. i don't think that what you currently have will cut it for an symbiont anemone

DrewBrees713
10/10/2013, 04:46 PM
I used it in the fuge for sps frags and it seems to do the job ...shrug.