PDA

View Full Version : what to do with dry rock/live rock

vmacisback
10/10/2013, 11:32 PM
I recently purchased 100lbs of live rock from my lfs. The rock had been in their live rock tank for a very long time. Up to two years for some of the rocks. Its been sitting outside for a few days because i dont plan on starting my tank for a while. Atleast 2 mos. In this time i want to rid the rock of bad stuff that may leach. I dont feel like "cooking" the rock and all the water changes on it that you have to do. Can someone lead me in the right direction, i just really dont wanna deal with phosphates in my new SPS tank. Thanks. If cooking it is what i have to do then ill just have to deal with it, just looking for other options.

willyboy
10/11/2013, 12:07 AM
Why did you get live rock that is pre-cured if you were just gonna leave it outside for a long time?

vmacisback
10/11/2013, 02:42 AM
Why did you get live rock that is pre-cured if you were just gonna leave it outside for a long time?

well first off my lfs closed up their tanks for live rock so it was left out by them, they gave me a great deal im just not starting my tank for approx 2 mos. any solutions to lessen die off and bad stuff this rock may leach?

ca1ore
10/11/2013, 06:12 AM
If your rock has been sitting outside for two days then the vast majority of the things that made it 'live' are probably now dead. About the only thing you can do is to prepare a brute-style bucket with saltwater and a power-head and leave the rock submerged until you are ready to setup your tank.

Guss
10/11/2013, 06:35 AM
If the LFS used copper to treat their system your doomed. What are you worried about leaching out?

boxorocks
10/11/2013, 04:43 PM
If the LFS used copper to treat their system your doomed. What are you worried about leaching out?

I would not say that.

OP, your gonna have to cycle it no matter what. Your just gonna have to pick a time and place. Might as well start now.

vmacisback
10/11/2013, 10:11 PM

Pretty darn sure my lfs doesn't use copper in their live rock tank. Thanks bud

vmacisback
10/11/2013, 10:14 PM
I would not say that.

OP, your gonna have to cycle it no matter what. Your just gonna have to pick a time and place. Might as well start now.

So just throw it in a bucket with a powerhead and a heater? Can I just use old water from a water change? Or new?

boxorocks
10/12/2013, 03:53 PM
I would use the old water for a month or so. It will have bacteria already in it to start chewing away on the rocks. Once the rocks are wet and cycles, they will have bacteria on them as well, then switch to fresh a few weeks before you drop it in. Dont forget to ghost feed a little a few weeks down the road.