PDA

View Full Version : SPS Frag System – Sump Required

tdb320reef
10/11/2013, 06:52 AM
Background
Question – I set up a is Isolated frag system with a 150G Rubbermaid Tub some Egg Crate. I built a PVC frame to keep the egg crate stable on the top tier of the tub. At the bottom I have about 50 lbs of dry rock and macro algae. I have a bubble master 200 skimmer that sits on the top and keeps it in about 8” deep water and works perfectly. For flow I have two Jebao WP40s. In this system I have about 300 frags and 1 purple tang. The phosphates started to creep and I installed a BRS GFO reactor and that has solved that issue. I top off with a float switch and dose two part on dosing pumps.

I picked up a 30 gallon sump, Eshopp overflow and little giant pump. The plan is to hook it up on the tub and move the skimmer to the sump maybe put some more rock. The question is it required? The frag tub has been up about two months is doing well as is. Is there any long term advantages or just wasted energy?

http://images.cpucs.com/images/fragtub.jpg

firebirdude
10/11/2013, 07:46 AM
I think you already know that it's not required. A sump just allows us to keep the ugly equipment out of the display (skimmer, heater, float switches, probes, reactors, etc etc etc). Since this is a frag setup, who cares what it looks like. Secondly, you've already got everything dialed in and it's doing well. Leave it alone. :)

tdb320reef
10/11/2013, 08:31 AM
I think you already know that it's not required. A sump just allows us to keep the ugly equipment out of the display (skimmer, heater, float switches, probes, reactors, etc etc etc). Since this is a frag setup, who cares what it looks like. Secondly, you've already got everything dialed in and it's doing well. Leave it alone. :)

Thanks, Yes I know it is not required so let me word it in a different way any other advantages other than a depository for unsightly equipment such as aeration etc.

animalkingdom
10/11/2013, 08:35 AM
nope excepti I can see it difficult to siphon out settled detritus with the egg crate in your current setup....maybe a sump would allow for the detritus to collect elsewhere

tdb320reef
10/11/2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks!

Craigdillman
10/11/2013, 04:22 PM
If it aint broke dont fix it?

firebirdude
10/11/2013, 04:56 PM
If it aint broke dont fix it?Pretty much. You obviously don't care too much about the overall look of the system, being a frag tank. Heck, you're using a huge plastic black bin! And I really don't think having a sump is going to allow detritus to settle any different. Provided flow patterns don't change, it's going to settle in the same places it always does.

In your case I think adding a sump is just going to complicate things. Now you have to worry about more plumbing leaks (bulkheads, etc), more equipment failures (return pump, etc), and more worry during a power outage (reverse siphon, etc). Special note on that last bit, even allowing a 1" drop in water level through reverse siphon is a lot of friggin water in a huge shallow tank like that. Surely more than you're going to have room for in a 30 gallon sump...

boxorocks
10/11/2013, 05:33 PM
if it aint broke dont fix it?

+1

tdb320reef
10/11/2013, 08:35 PM
Good Points all. I have the frag rack set up in a way where I can break it down and stack it and get a pump to the bottom with a vacuum to get the detritus out. Reason why I asked because I had the equipment but now it looks like it is going up for sale. I love the current simplicity of the system as I have to deal with my overly complex 320 gallon.

Thanks again!

zombiereefer
10/11/2013, 08:45 PM
looks great. you could just have more space for more frags. but really i think your taking a HUGE risk messing with everything. colors look great and it looks easy to maintain.

homegrowncichli
10/12/2013, 08:26 AM
A sump is also the next step in adding more water volume to a tank. Trying to make it bigger within the same foot print. So for you, a sump would be adding another 150gal tub built into a frame above your current one. Now you'll have 300 gallons of capacity.