PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate question

duberz
10/11/2013, 07:09 AM
My tank is about a year old now.I went through all the uglies and tank was algea free for months.I decided to rearrange some of my rock work.After doing this I had a hair algea outbreak.Could moving the rock around have caused this?I run gfo 24/7 changed out monthly and hannah checker reads 0 for phosphates.

HurricaneSystem
10/11/2013, 07:30 AM
Moving the rock wouldn't cause this unless you introduced some new rock that already had algae on it. Are you using RO/DI water or tap water?

I will tell you a product that will rid your tank of all of those problems is Chemi Pure Elite. That stuff is like magic in a bag!

Sugar Magnolia
10/11/2013, 07:41 AM
Actually, movong rocks around will result in trapped detritus becoming dislodged which can raise nitrates and phoshpates a bit. As HS asked, are you using RODI?

thegrun
10/11/2013, 09:50 AM
Actually, movong rocks around will result in trapped detritus becoming dislodged which can raise nitrates and phoshpates a bit. As HS asked, are you using RODI?

+1, when the rocks were moved you released all the trapped nitrates and phosphates. I would change out the GFO (and carbon if you are using it) weekly until you get the algae under control.

duberz
10/11/2013, 11:29 AM
Yes I have always used ro/di.I just recently doubled my rowaphos amount to realy hit it hard.