PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse and QT ?

Allmost
10/11/2013, 12:09 PM
whats your procedure ?

just freshwater dip with prazi and right into DT ?

Deinonych
10/11/2013, 12:10 PM
I run mine through my standard 6-8 treatment routine including 2 rounds of Prazipro and 4 weeks of chloroquine phosphate.

Allmost
10/11/2013, 12:11 PM
they dont get stressed without sand ?

Deinonych
10/11/2013, 12:20 PM
I have only kept flasher and fairy wrasses thus far.

MondoBongo
10/11/2013, 01:00 PM
i have quarantined both a 6 line (went back to the LFS because he was a jerk) and my flasher wrasse (currently in QT).

i do not do prophylactic treatments, and my QT is fully cycled and has rock work in it.

if you need sand, what i've seen some people do is use a tupperware dish filled with a couple inches of it.

HumbleFish
10/11/2013, 01:09 PM
they dont get stressed without sand ?

Take a glass bowl (like a pyrex) and put some new sand in it. Don't use old sand from your tank - that will start stinking. You may have to add a little extra copper to compensate for whatever the sand absorbs. But IME, it's negligible.

Spar
10/11/2013, 03:28 PM
if you need sand, what i've seen some people do is use a tupperware dish filled with a couple inches of it.

And if you do the Tank Transfer method QT, make sure to use new sand each time (smaller the dish the better).

Allmost
10/11/2013, 03:32 PM
yea Id go broke just replacing sand lol

I have a 30g QT ready, gonna keep them in there for now to see how they do ... will keep some sand in a dish too,

thanks everyone :)

SaltWaterAdam
10/12/2013, 12:04 PM
Ive got a 6 line in QT right now. Does fine with no sand. He is about 4 weeks in a 6 weeks QT. Cupramine is in there right now, and I've already run two rounds of prazipro.

MrTuskfish
10/12/2013, 02:03 PM
Most wrasse don't need sand, but the suggestions above work for that do. I don't think wrasse are really copper-sensitive; a lot of posts seem to give the impression that they are.

MrTuskfish
10/13/2013, 02:19 PM
Just curious, what do you expect the FW dip to do? There is a lot of misinformation around regarding this practice.

albano
10/13/2013, 02:51 PM
Ive got a 6 line in QT right now.
6 lines can become a PITA... Hope it's easy to catch once it's in your DT !

Allmost
11/08/2013, 01:23 PM
Just curious, what do you expect the FW dip to do? There is a lot of misinformation around regarding this practice.

I usually do a freshwater dip + Prazi when I first get the fish, mostly for external parasites. I just watch them and then check the bucket to make sure nothing has fallen off of fish. If I do see something falling off, then I keep it in QT for longer, and Dip in FW 2 more times, 5-6 days apart.

I dont know how useful this process is. TBH,

Rea17
11/08/2013, 01:35 PM
I don't think there's much of a point in using Prazi in a FW dip, you'll want to follow the directions on the bottle for an effective treatment.

As far as the dip goes, it's a good way to check for flukes, but isn't a "cure" as it doesn't kill eggs or necessarily every fluke on the fish.

What species of wrasses are we talking here? I like the glass bowl with sand technique personally, currently working very well with a radiant wrasse I'm quarantining. There's no reason not to QT a wrasse.

Allmost
11/08/2013, 01:39 PM
I don't think there's much of a point in using Prazi in a FW dip, you'll want to follow the directions on the bottle for an effective treatment.

As far as the dip goes, it's a good way to check for flukes, but isn't a "cure" as it doesn't kill eggs or necessarily every fluke on the fish.

What species of wrasses are we talking here? I like the glass bowl with sand technique personally, currently working very well with a radiant wrasse I'm quarantining. There's no reason not to QT a wrasse.

repeating the dip 3 times would take care of Eggs. I learned the process from someone at Waikiki aquariums in Hawaii.

oh and now QTing a couple of Flame wrasses :)

Rea17
11/08/2013, 01:43 PM
Nice, I love the flames.

I missed that you were planning a series of dips, sorry. This could work, but I always opt for two or three rounds of prazipro myself. In general, it it a gentle, well tolerated med.

Newsmyrna80
11/08/2013, 05:07 PM

+1 freshwater dips will not kill fluke eggs. If the egg is young enough, say a day old, then a freshwater dip may prevent it from hatching, however, if the egg is still attached to the fish once the fish goes back into saltwater the egg will continue to develop.