PDA

View Full Version : Lower alkalinity in change water

zzl630
10/11/2013, 01:18 PM
Since I am running a bio pellets reactor, I am running my tank with low alkalinity around 7-7.5. The salt(Reef crystal) I am using have a high alkalinity(11-13). How can I lower the alkalinity to avoid shocking and stressing my coral?

r1racer
10/11/2013, 01:35 PM
A normal water change should not have a substantial effect on alk.

zzl630
10/11/2013, 02:00 PM
I noticed my SPS have burnt tips. I would suspect alkalinity swing did it to my SPS.

Noticed you have Maxspect Razor as well. Do you have any SPS? How are they doing with Maxspect Razor?

bertoni
10/11/2013, 11:05 PM
You can add a mineral acid to reduce the alkalinity. Sulfuric or hydrochloric (muriatic) acid will work. They do require careful handling, though.

r1racer
10/16/2013, 12:44 PM
I noticed my SPS have burnt tips. I would suspect alkalinity swing did it to my SPS.

Noticed you have Maxspect Razor as well. Do you have any SPS? How are they doing with Maxspect Razor?

Yes. They are all surviving. A few acros have encrusted onto the rock and grown a 1/4 of their size but that's it. Others have not died but have not grown much. I think my issue was high PO4 as growth seems to increasing now and their colors are more vibrant. Zoas have mutliplied and frogsoawn/torch/hammer/flowerpots are all getting bigger.