PDA

View Full Version : Heniochus butterfly question

hogfanreefer
10/11/2013, 11:16 PM
I've seen several sites list these as reef safe but LA lists them as definitely not reef safe. If they are not what corals are threatened by them?

homegrowncichli
10/12/2013, 07:36 AM
according to an article on reef magazine, titled "Reef Safe Butterflyfishes?"
by Matt Wandell

The chooling Bannerfish (H. diphreutes), that is considered relatively safe to include in a coral reef aquarium. H. diphreutes is very easily confused with the Reef Bannerfish (H. acuminatus), a fish that is generally considered a substantial risk to place in a coral reef aquarium.

Dmorty217
10/12/2013, 08:55 PM
One is reef safe the other definitely isn't. ^+1

hogfanreefer
10/12/2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys. The local LFS has 4 Heniochus. I searched the forum and now know how to tell the difference in the two species. I'm gonna go back and look at them tomorrow. I bet their acuminatus, I couldn't be that lucky.

fishncwill
10/12/2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys. The local LFS has 4 Heniochus. I searched the forum and now know how to tell the difference in the two species. I'm gonna go back and look at them tomorrow. I bet their acuminatus, I couldn't be that lucky.

Hope you have some good luck tomorrow Heniochus are great additions

the808state
10/12/2013, 11:58 PM
We only have H. diphreutes in Hawaii, so if the LFS knows the origin, it should be relatively easy to tell. They are on the rarer side in Indo and the like.

hogfanreefer
10/18/2013, 08:02 PM
Well the good news is they are H. diphreutes. The bad news is they sold two of them and the other two have lymphocytosis and are in a quarantine tank by themselves and not for sale right now. I spoke for them if they make it. I've heard lymphocytosis isn't usually fatal. Hope so.

SDguy
10/18/2013, 08:07 PM
Do a search on this forum for the ID of depfreutes. It's actually pretty easy to tell them apart. But 100% guarantee they are reef safe? No so easy.

Dmorty217
10/19/2013, 08:48 AM
Lympho isn't fatal unless they continue to be stressed and are on a poor diet. I'm assuming the lympho showed up after you first saw them?

hogfanreefer
10/19/2013, 04:00 PM
Lympho isn't fatal unless they continue to be stressed and are on a poor diet. I'm assuming the lympho showed up after you first saw them?

The owner said it was there but I didn't see it till yesterday. It's only on their fins and they are eating well. I'm going to check on them every week.

jjk_reef00
10/19/2013, 05:12 PM
IMO if they are eating and you want them buy them and put them into your own QT.
Keep water quality high and feed them well and they will be fine.