PDA

View Full Version : How tough is Krylon paint?

Kyle918
10/12/2013, 09:09 AM
How well does it adhere to glass? I want to paint my glass overflow black to match to back of the tank but I don't know if I should paint the inside or outside of the overflow. If I paint the inside, I will still see the greenish tint seams where the glass is joined. If I paint the outside, which I prefer for looks, can I clean algae off of it with say a magic eraser without risking the paint chipping off in the process?

Jackg962
10/12/2013, 10:50 AM
I used flat black krylon on the back of my 93 G cube. it looks real nice

spieszak
10/12/2013, 10:56 AM
I'm just going to throw this out there as my understanding, rather than fact... My understanding is that krylon is reef safe because of the chemical bond it makes with plastic/pvc. I don't know that it would be reef safe on glass because there likely wouldn't be a chemical bond... so, if you aren't positive it is reef safe that way, it might be worth doing a little more research...

TL1000RSquid
10/12/2013, 11:20 AM
Krylon Fusion is suppose to be safe to use inside the tank, but only glass I've used it on is tank backs on the outside. It seems pretty tough though I've never had any issue with it coming off either the dry back glass or wet pvc.

myfrostymember
10/12/2013, 08:00 PM
paint both? if you chip a small piece it woulnt be as noticable?

rfgonzo
10/12/2013, 08:27 PM
JMO, but I think it would be better to cut the silicone and replace the overflow box with a black plastic/acrylic one. If you paint it on with a rattle can over time it will chip if it doesn't have a clear coat and I don't know of any reef safe clear coats. Even with a safe clear coat over time I am sure that will bubble also then chip.

spieszak
10/13/2013, 01:29 PM
why not scrap the paint and glue rubble rock or sand to it? i did a quick google search and my results all show at least one person noting chipping because krylon doesn't bond with glass the way it does with acrylic. nothing scientific about my method, i just personally wouldn't chance it.

ironwill723
10/13/2013, 01:33 PM
Any paint will scrape off glass easily. I would go with a black acrylic piece or overflow box. If you don't want to remove the glass overflow you can silicone the acrylic cover on to the glass box.

austings
10/13/2013, 05:42 PM
Any paint will scrape off glass easily. I would go with a black acrylic piece or overflow box. If you don't want to remove the glass overflow you can silicone the acrylic cover on to the glass box.

+1. Silicone acrylic to the glass box.

Daimyo68
10/13/2013, 09:38 PM
Have the Acrylic cut to the inside dimensions of your glass overflow. Slide/fit them down into place and your done. No silicone needed

Kyle918
10/21/2013, 06:11 PM
I have checked a few places locally and can't find anyone that carries black acrylic. It is either clear or an off charcoal color but still transparent. I found a few online stores but none seemed to offer smaller pieces at a reasonable price. Any suggestions??

rfgonzo
10/21/2013, 08:18 PM
You can do 2 diffrent things, 1) you could have you LFS build one for you in black.
2) this is my favorite one, Get on the horn with some Acrylic companies and ask them if they have any black scrap pieces that you could buy from them. Tell them the size your looking for and more then likely they will send them to you for free, you just pay shipping and maybe buy some Weld-on from them for helping you out. I have done this a few times and they send a large box full of diffrent colors and sizes.

Daimyo68
10/21/2013, 10:49 PM
Plenty of Acrylic dealers in the Tampa area. One of them has to have some scrap laying around, or will cut you a 1/4 sheet

http://www.yellowpages.com/tampa-fl/acrylic-sheets