PDA

View Full Version : A little bit scared about my 10 gal nano..

Calappidae
10/13/2013, 12:36 AM
I setup a 10 gallon reef not long ago. I used 4.5 lbs. of a new type of rock that the LFS got in called "Premium decorative live rock" with all these corals and sponges and macro growing on it. I also got a new live sand, Arag-alive hawaiian black to be specific...

Anyway... within 2 days time.. I found:

5, 5 inch bristle worms...
1 Cantharid whelk.. (a little info on him please??? is he venomous like a cone snail?? :eek1:)
3 fire worms
20 or so spaghetti worms..
A 2.5 inch serpent starfish.. (Good find.. I guess?.. cool looking tho)
This strange swimming orange nudibranch or flatworm or whatever it is..
Some amphipods (which is normal not complaining :) )
A neon blue brain coral.
2 yellow sponges.
A red tunicate
4 Strange feather duster worms...

I'm actually scared to even go in there... I'm worried what else I may find :uhoh2: The tank currently houses a pair of harlequin shrimp, a pair of sexy shrimp, ricordae shrooms, green star polyps, 2 nassarius snails, 2 bumble bee snails, and thats it as far as what I put in there..

What are the odds of something really really dangerous appearing in this tank as I think I completed half the list of common hitchhikers with this one rock... I'm more worried about cone snails, jellyfish, and other really venomous things affecting me! :worried::worried::worried:

The rock
http://i41.*******.com/250icf5.jpg

The brain coral
http://i42.*******.com/2ed1nc3.jpg

P.S. the photos are from when I put the rock in my 29 gallon before tranferring it over to my 10 gallon. Its been in there for a few days.

TundraGuy
10/13/2013, 09:38 PM
See that a sailfin swimming in your ten gallon?

Calappidae
10/13/2013, 11:22 PM
1. Those photos were taken in my 30 gallon. I moved the rock to my 10 gallon later.

2. the sailfin is 4 inches in length, was dying at the lfs (petco.. if thats consitured an lfs...) and I put it in my 30. There is a 125 gallon in my basement since I just couldn't get rid of the fella. Whenever I get that up he/she will have a bigger home :)

TundraGuy
10/13/2013, 11:52 PM
Good deal cuts I was getting scared of your 10 gallon. Hurry up and get that bigger tank set up. Lol

Calappidae
10/14/2013, 11:10 AM
Good deal cuts I was getting scared of your 10 gallon. Hurry up and get that bigger tank set up. Lol

I'm waiting on my addition to the house which is almost complete.

And I'm only 15.. you try earning $700 for rock at that age :uhoh3: I might only put half the ammount of rock then just add the fish in an add more rock later.

Tang is still very young, its 4 inches and the tank is 36 inches long so he/she is good meanwhile until it gets setup :)

Moto_fish
10/14/2013, 03:46 PM
Strong Mantis Shrimp Avi Presence in this thread.

I dont think you understand how much space a 4 inch sailfin needs...

Calappidae
10/14/2013, 05:14 PM

Whatever it needs, the current tank beats the 5 gallon holding tank at petco with an ick invested niger trigger in it

TundraGuy
10/14/2013, 09:54 PM

The mantiforce is strong with this one.

Calappidae
10/14/2013, 10:29 PM
The mantiforce is strong with this one.

http://i39.*******.com/fjkl79.jpg

TundraGuy
10/14/2013, 11:19 PM
Back on topic that rock is amazing. I would not treat it any different then any other coral covered rock.

Calappidae
10/14/2013, 11:24 PM
Back on topic that rock is amazing. I would not treat it any different then any other coral covered rock.

I spent 70 dollars for that 4.5 lbs rock... it was worth it except all the bad hitchhikers that came with it... sadly there are not stomatopods.. those would have been a good bad hitchhiker :sad2:

N3hihz
10/14/2013, 11:38 PM
I'm waiting on my addition to the house which is almost complete.

And I'm only 15.. you try earning $700 for rock at that age :uhoh3: I might only put half the ammount of rock then just add the fish in an add more rock later.

Tang is still very young, its 4 inches and the tank is 36 inches long so he/she is good meanwhile until it gets setup :)

At 15 I prob had more expendable income than I do now.

If you can find someone on the forum in your area might be able to get some rocks cheaper than the lfs.

I'm cycling some live rock with some dry rocks right now and hoping to get some growth in a few months being cheap and can't afford the 60lbs of live rock I need.

Calappidae
10/15/2013, 11:08 AM
My income is grass cutting and helping my dad clean an office. I make 80 a month cleaning the office, and I have only 3 yards to cut.. small ones too, 1 pays 15, 1 pays 20, and the other we just split at the end of the month whenever we get mailed the check (usually 100 on that yard every month during summer time..). Its also fall where I live and grass cutting season is over.

Between refilling test kits, buying food, equiptment, and such my income as far as free to spend is cut in half... my harlequin shrimp are 20 a month alone..