PDA

View Full Version : What Your Acros Get Up to at Night.......

biggles
10/13/2013, 05:54 AM
So a few days ago i noticed a small acro frag had a burnt tip out of the blue, i noticed the light brown algae covering a single dead tip and thought 'hmm that's odd....'
Tonight i was snooping at the acros polyp reaction to a big feed of cyclops-eeze and reef roids after dark with a white LED pushbike headlight i found in the gutter - i only use high end equipment......... in particular i wanted to see the crazy extension on the new SSC frags i spread all over the tank recently - not long before i noticed the dead acro tip coincidentally.....

The frags are 2" apart but you can see how the small dot at the end of the SSC sweeper marked by the yellow arrow has no problems reaching down current to give his neighbor's axial corallite marked by the red arrow, a reminder not to grow in his direction lol.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/BigglesRC/h_zps37f32f47.png~original

Here's a short video of him doing the nasty which i took that still above from. Watch it in HD and excuse the iphone but it stuggles to hold focus in dim light. Not only is it a nice SSC piece but it's also a really nasty stinging bastard capable of seeing off any intruders in its path - doesn't get much better than that really :D

2G7aiF294Kc

1000_smiles
10/13/2013, 11:35 AM
Of course potatohead had to put in an appearance, lol

jroovers
10/13/2013, 11:48 AM
That is crazy, quite the reach on it.

Bello
10/13/2013, 12:13 PM
Sheesh..... and my bloody SSC barely has any PE on it :p

reeflover62
10/13/2013, 12:24 PM
Nice detective work Sherlock:idea:and corals

trueblackpercula
10/13/2013, 03:12 PM
hello Mr.BIggles

Ha that's another fine example of how SPS compete for food and space. I made another video today and target feed using mysis shrimp. the funny thing is as soon as i target feed the one coral a few seconds later my SSC had Full PE something it has not done before with other foods. give it a try and see what happens in your tank i was blown away as i never new that SSC had feeder polyps that come out that looks like big four finger star. I will try and get a picture later tonight.

what is more impressive to me is that your sps have amazing color with now lighting LOL