PDA

View Full Version : QT question

mkoop
10/13/2013, 02:20 PM
Hello,

I am looking to set up a permanent QT for my system and had a few questions.

Is a 40g QT normally sufficient for most species that would go into a 180 reef dt?

Not knowing my stocking list at this point a concern is choosing a QT that may be too small for some species. I hadn't really thought about it too much but after speaking with my LFS the suggested that a 40 may not be sufficient and that I may want to even consider a 60 or larger QT with it's own sump.

Is this necessary? What would the benefits be of running a sump for a QT opposed to HOB? If it would be beneficial it would be easy enough to set up a 50g bucket sump for it.

I guess my biggest concerns are just QT size needs and if running a sump is really cost efficient for a QT.

gone fishin
10/13/2013, 02:34 PM
I use a 30g and set it up when I need it. Barebottom a heater, airstone and some pvc fittings. I will only Qt 1 or 2 fish at a time depending on what they are.

My theory is if I need to remove all my fish I did not QT right the first time.

MrTuskfish
10/13/2013, 02:40 PM
Good decision! A 40 should be fine. Buying large, adult versions of fish isn't the greatest idea anyhow.

r1racer
10/14/2013, 08:46 AM
If you plan on slowly stocking your tank or having a lot of fish get sick and/or die in the DT then I would say a permanent QT is good to have otherwise I found it's a waste of time and money. It sounds like a good idea at first but in practice...