PDA

View Full Version : Changing tanks for clowns?

hollyk
10/13/2013, 08:14 PM
Hello! :wave:

I am considering upgrading my aquarium in a couple of months, when I have a little more money. I currently have 2 juvenile ocellaris clowns in a 14 gallon, and I'd like to upgrade them, possibly to an Oceanic Biocube 29? (Any recommendations or thoughts on this tank? I've heard good things about it. I'm living in an apartment, so I can't have anything much bigger, especially as I also have 7 bettas, each in different tanks!) The clowns are the only fish in the tank; it's just the 2 clowns and live rock.

I'm kind of wondering how to do my upgrading, though, because of the need for the tank to be cycled. Do I buy all new live rock, sand, and everything, and start over with the new tank while the other continues to run as usual? Or is there a way to "share" some of the things like the live rock to conserve money? Would it be better to just take one piece of live rock from my old aquarium and put it in the new one to seed some new dry rock? Sorry for all the questions! I'm just trying to do my best to provide the best care possible for my little clowns while also saving as much money as possible, as I'm a starving college student! ;-)

OrionN
10/14/2013, 07:31 AM
I have use a few of these all in one tank and really do not like them. The curve surface is difficult to clean. The chamber in the back is good for nothing other than the heater. Skimmer is way undersize and on and on.....
For tank that size, it is best to get a 20 inches cube. You can either drilled or just use a better HOB skimmer for place to keep heater.
I have a 29 ga all in one that I like to get rid off.

Upgrade tank this size just put all your rock and sand in a new tank and add all the animal into it right away if you careful not let the rock and sand dry out.