PDA

View Full Version : Help in keeping SPS

spinsonic
10/13/2013, 11:12 PM
So i've had my tank for 1 1/2 year now, and seems to be doing okay with lps, but never had success with sps. Granted that i didnt keep water parameters stable, but during the time i did. SPS would brown out, lack polyp extension and would eventually die. Very frustrating because they looked great at lfs, but once in my tank for 2 weeks, it would look horrible.

My tank is a Red Sea Max s650 with original filtration and skimmer. I converted lighting to (4) AI vega's almost a year ago, and added (2) mp40es. I'm thinking about getting a better skimmer, since i've read that its the single most important piece of equipment for sps. Question is does it really make a difference? I'm running GFO and PO is usually around 2-10, unless i forget to change and would spike up to 20.

Typical water parameter ca 450, alk 10, mag 1400, nitrate 0, nitrite 2, ph 8.3, phosphate swing between 2-20.

thank you

DragonWarriorPo
10/13/2013, 11:33 PM
Phosphates way too high to keep SPS. You definitely need better skimmer or less fish to feed.

Dillan
10/14/2013, 12:04 AM
PO4 around 2-20? Are you sure? Recommended level of PO4 is around 0,02-0,04 some people even think lower than that is better.

spinsonic
10/14/2013, 12:11 AM
PO4 around 2-20? Are you sure? Recommended level of PO4 is around 0,02-0,04 some people even think lower than that is better.

sorry that was a typo... .02 - 20 test with hanna checker

Question is if i should get a better skimmer. If so, which brand? Dont really mind the cost, since i have dump so much money into this hobby. Keeping CA Mag and Alk is usually pretty easy since i do have a doser. I think my main issue here is not keeping PO steady. Always swinging... Check past friday and it was .02, test today and its .08

Ptyochromis
10/14/2013, 01:33 PM
A nitrite of 2? Is that PPM? It doesn't seem like you are fully cycled. Check the ammonia.

I ran my tank skimmerless for a year and my sps were very healthy. You can run your tank skimmerless as long as you can keep nutrients down.

Get yourself a better phosphate test. API won't cut it. I use the red sea test; works well for me.

How are you acclimating the corals to your water? and how are you acclimating them to your light?