PDA

View Full Version : Painting Like Store Bought

MattM3
10/15/2013, 10:14 PM
Hi guys,

I have this canopy that is obviously store bought. I'm doing a few modifications, and would like to match the paint color and texture to the rest of the canopy. How and what do I do/use to go about doing this. It's obviously not latex, and I don't think it is a stain. I'm not very experienced at painting. Is it some type of spray paint? Thanks for the advice!

http://i.imgur.com/J3WTzBe.jpg

Mules1
10/16/2013, 05:13 AM
Looks like black stain to me (with semigloss sealer)

thereeftank
10/16/2013, 06:12 AM
+1 on the stain and not paint.

satin finish

MattM3
10/16/2013, 06:24 AM
Is there a difference between a sealer and a finish?

woodnaquanut
10/16/2013, 07:10 AM
I agree with the others. Stain (or dye) because I can see grain. Paint is opaque.

Sealer might be the wrong technical term. Probably a clear coat finish. What finish will be hard to tell from pics.

Matching the existing is really hard depending on how critical you are. Do you have access to a woodworking store like Rockler or Woodcraft? They will have lots of stains and dyes to help you get at least close to a match.

If no WW store, look for a professional paint store. Very last choice would be one of the big box stores.

Be sure to test whatever you choose on a scrap. Take the tests completely thru the process all the way to final finish because things look different after finish coats.

jlanger
10/16/2013, 02:36 PM
Another possible finish is black lacquer.
If you have access to a professional paint store (Sherwin Williams), ask them to mix it for you.
I believe you can get this in flat/satin/gloss finishes. I always use a satin finish.

I have used it on many projects with great results.
A HVLP sprayer would give you the best finish, but it can also be brushed on.
The lacquer will penetrate the wood (first coat) and allow the wood grain to show through; which paint will remain on the surface and level out over the multiple coats.

Woodnaquanut is right on.
Always test on a scrap piece of the same material you're using for best results.
Good luck.

Donw
10/16/2013, 03:31 PM
Its none of the above its a tinted finish most likely a a conversion varnish or waterbased "lacquer".
Take a piece to someplace like rodda and they can match a spray stain pretty close then spray on a topcoat. Someplace like rodda can also tint the top coat for you but chances are you will black it out unless youve done a bunch of tinted top coats.

Don

saltwaterpicaso
10/16/2013, 09:00 PM
Best way would be to stain it any clear polyurethane when it dries for to seal it

MattM3
10/17/2013, 03:12 PM
I don't have a Rodda. Any idea what the South East (Florida) region might be?

MattM3
10/17/2013, 05:56 PM
So here are the results. Definitely not a stain because of how it comes off so easily and acts more like an enamel. Definitely not latex. Points to guys who thought it was the sprayed on laquer or varnish. Except now this got extremely complicated, and I'm having problems finding a place that will do it for me. Yay.

Terefel
10/19/2013, 11:42 AM
Matt, just an idea, but have you considered stripping and then repainting/staining/lacquering? That way you can make sure that all the pieces match. Might be more trouble than you're looking for, but it guarantees the match.

Fishman7
10/19/2013, 12:05 PM
take it to a sherwin williams and see what the pros say

MattM3
11/01/2013, 08:57 AM
I called the manufacturer of the canopy and it turns out it is sprayed with a gloss black lacquer. Really the only way to get this finish the way it was is to strip it completely and use a professional sprayer. If you don't have a professional sprayer, home depot sells a gloss black laquer in a spray paint can. The spray paint cans are very difficult to work with and you need to be very good at sanding and spray painting. Get a high finish sanding sponge because they help a lot. Painting with Black Lacquer might also be an option instead of spray, but Sherwin Williams will only sell it by the gallon.

TropTrea
11/01/2013, 09:36 AM
Believe me matching stins between two pieces can a real pain even if have the same products and did it yourself originaly. Slight difference in wood like the difference between white pine and spruce, or red pine will cause a difference in the color. In your case now your not even just trying to match but you do not know what finish they used for starters.

Black paint or black stain is not all the same black color as well. You have warm blacks with brownish over tones as well as cold black with blue over tones and 50 steps between the two. Pure black would not show the grain of the wood or reflect any light back.

My suggestion to get close would be to sane everything lightly to get any surface sealer off the original parts that will be visable. The more stain you get off as well the better off you will be. Then look at the wood and do the new parts and the old have simular grain paterns and tone? If not then paint it do not even attempt to match with stain.

If the texture is simular go with an oil based stain in ebony made by Miniwax. You will probably want to put on multiple coats and perhaps 1 or 2 additional coats on the new wood to get the color to match the old. Then the final is the top cot or coats. Since it is going to be on a salt water tank you want to seal it well with at least three coats. But the selection of sealer is per your taste look at the store samples.

Flat should have basicly no shine to it but accect the grain of the wood
Satin should give you a little shine
Semi Gloss will be very shiney
Gloss will almost look like a mirror shine

Make sure you sand with a 400 or finer sand paper between each coat to remove any dust or imprefections during the drying process and use a tack cloth to remove any sanding dust. Dust and dirt is the biggest preventer of a perfect finish. A small particle almost undetectable by the eye will be magnified when the top coat is dry.

If after brushing the second coat on you see imprefections like brush strokes considerusing a spreay can on the last coat . Individual skill level with a brush varies more than with a spray can.

MattM3
11/01/2013, 09:53 AM
Very good information. I already finished the canopy, but that is basically what I did. I sanded it down and used spray paint gloss black lacquer and sanded a lot between coats with 250 - 350 - 400 - 2000. It took a long time to get it moderately consistent. It's not perfect, but good enough.