PDA

View Full Version : Tank overheated, zoas, palys VERY UPSET HELP

Bowels
10/15/2013, 10:22 PM
My heater broke and got stuck on, tank got to 102 degrees while i was at work, lost a ton, i recently purchased an apex controller, id say my tank is recovering, but there is really nothing left to recover.... ill stay im starting fresh. :(

However I have 3 plugs of zoas, and a rock with 40+ palys on it. They are all closed up and zome of the zoas are going clear and dieing off by the day....

is there anything i can do?

A. Grandis
10/16/2013, 12:02 AM
Sorry to hear that!
You should give us much more info that that, but basically...
You need to put them in a stable system for now, without the ammonia spike from dead organisms.
Temperature of 79°F would be the best.
Make sure they have good light, but not too much. Common sense.
There will be a relatively long adaptation period if they are white/almost white. Polyps could take up to 6 months to a year to recover!
Leave them there until you can have your system running really good.
That's all you can do!
They can recuperate from bleaching, but that will depend on a series of variables, besides how bad was the bleaching, species of zoas we're talking about, and how good you can treat them from now on.
Stability, water quality/light, maintenance.
Leave the alone and just make sure the params and maintenance are checked out.
Good luck!

Grandis.

Fishypapa
10/16/2013, 03:46 AM
Sorry to hear that!

Me too. That's terrible to have to experience

Leave the alone and just make sure the params and maintenance are checked out.
Good luck!

Grandis.

+1 ^^

Bowels
10/16/2013, 07:53 AM
Thank you guys very much! I believe at first I had a bit of an ammonia spike, I quickly fixed the tank params with some water changes. And have since added about 600$ worth of stuff, New bulbs, jabeo25 powerhead (that thing rocks), re organized the sump area much more efficient and I had detritus traps... zoas and palys aren't bleached...they are still brown..they are just closed up alot and very unhappy....ill keep fighting the good fight and keep my tank stable, the apex should help. I also moved my heater to the sump in a high flow area

A. Grandis
10/16/2013, 06:44 PM
You're welcome!
I've heard very good things about the Apex. I have the reefkeeper and it's nice too.
That's good news. If they aren't bleached they should come back to normal soon.
Just leave them alone and keep the maintenance with stable reef params.
Great!
Grandis.

Bowels
10/20/2013, 11:06 PM
Palys lived zoas all died :(

A. Grandis
10/20/2013, 11:31 PM
Hard to know what "Palys" and "zoas" are nowadays with so many people calling them differently, but I'm sorry to hear about the dead ones.
I think you should wait more before getting new ones. Let the tank get established really well this time and wait until you have a strong system again. Just keep checking params and keep the ones you've got healthy for a while.
Good luck!

Grandis.