PDA

View Full Version : Acros acting weird

Vac7369
10/16/2013, 07:39 AM
Hey,

I have a 90g reef that is stocked on the heavy side with corals. I have a mix of LPS, SPS and softies. A couple months ago I switched over to Red Sea Pro salt and have had trouble with my Acroporas and Milleporas. They seem to be RTNing one by one and I cant figure it out. I do a 20% water change once every 7-10 days

Do you think this is because I switched to Red Sea and my corals are acting up and will stop acting weird soon or should i switch by to Reef Crystals and do a big water change of 40%? Any suggestions are welcomed!

Lights are Radion Pros
Flow is 950pgh return pump and 2 MP40's
Skimmer is a Reef Octopus rated for 150g
Sump is a 33 long.

Savoie83
10/16/2013, 10:19 AM
Do you mix the 2 salt first or you did the switch in one shot? Can be a too much big variation between your tank param and the new salt.

Touring
10/16/2013, 10:54 AM
Do you mix the 2 salt first or you did the switch in one shot? Can be a too much big variation between your tank param and the new salt.

not in a 90g reef tank

ssdawood
10/16/2013, 11:39 AM
I did experience some thing of this sort. A freshly mixed red sea has alkalinity of 13 at 1.026 salinity. If this alkalinity is the same that you maintain then its fine. If you maintain your alkalinity at 8 then it is a big swing when changing water.

Same for calcium and other trace elements. My advice is to maintain tanks parameters around red sea coral parameters at your desired salinity so that there is no swing when doing water change.

Or you can switch to a different salt that resembles nearest parameters of your tank.

Hey,

I have a 90g reef that is stocked on the heavy side with corals. I have a mix of LPS, SPS and softies. A couple months ago I switched over to Red Sea Pro salt and have had trouble with my Acroporas and Milleporas. They seem to be RTNing one by one and I cant figure it out. I do a 20% water change once every 7-10 days

Do you think this is because I switched to Red Sea and my corals are acting up and will stop acting weird soon or should i switch by to Reef Crystals and do a big water change of 40%? Any suggestions are welcomed!

Lights are Radion Pros
Flow is 950pgh return pump and 2 MP40's
Skimmer is a Reef Octopus rated for 150g
Sump is a 33 long.

Touring
10/16/2013, 11:49 AM
13 alk is preety crazy. My red sea just measured at 10.

Vac7369
10/16/2013, 02:14 PM
I ordered some reef crystals today to see what a fresh batch comes out to with my RO water. I also bought some Coral Rx Pro dip that im going to dip as much as my SPS in to try to fix this issue. Im just a little confused as to why my birds nest, montis and other spa as well as my LPS are not being bothered at all.

ssdawood
10/16/2013, 06:48 PM
13 alk is preety crazy. My red sea just measured at 10.

Yah I know if you read the label on red sea coral pro, it says at 1.26 salinity alk is 13 and calcium is 475

YoungREEFA
10/16/2013, 07:02 PM
Can you provide more parameters, such as po4 and ph?