PDA

View Full Version : sump for a 200 gallom tank

bginop
10/16/2013, 01:02 PM
Could anyone school me on what size of sump I should have for a 200 gallon fish and reef tank? I'd also like to have a refugium so I can grow some plants for my tangs.

Also, external or internal pump? I only ask because if I plan to go with a vortech mp60 would you need a lot of strong water flow from your return pump?

Forgive me if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about. Its because I dontneven after reading this forums manual on sumps.

DavidinGA
10/16/2013, 01:09 PM
I have a 210 gal and use a standard 75 gal tank as a sump/fuge.

Internal pump (eheim 1262) because it's one less thing to go wrong if it happens to develop a leak.

Skip the vortec and buy a jebao wp40 or wp60. I have two WP40'S and love them. Saved a ton of cash to boot

Pastey
10/16/2013, 01:16 PM
Sump should be as large as you can fit under your stand and still be able fit everything you want. My 200 has a Trigger Elite Ruby sump that has a refugium. I'm plumbed externally with a Reeflo Dart. In tank flow is taken care of with 3 MP40s. These suit my needs but it may not suit yours. It all comes down to what you're working with and what your goals are.

bginop
10/16/2013, 04:14 PM
Sump should be as large as you can fit under your stand and still be able fit everything you want. My 200 has a Trigger Elite Ruby sump that has a refugium. I'm plumbed externally with a Reeflo Dart. In tank flow is taken care of with 3 MP40s. These suit my needs but it may not suit yours. It all comes down to what you're working with and what your goals are.

So why 3 mp40s and not a single mp60? Im only asking to gain a further understaning.

bader
10/16/2013, 08:11 PM
I don't worry about my return pump providing in tank current so much that's what power heads are for you want the water to have contact time in the sump/skimmer/referg. That being said you want as big if a sump as you can to leave room for equipment upgrades (they will happen ) and other things

bginop
10/16/2013, 08:28 PM
So would an $1100 sump from my reed creations make sense to you guys? I think the dimensions are 48x20x20 . all acrylic. The pet store quoted me that price. I don't know what I'm doing so I just want to make sure that makes sense to you guys

loki6969
10/16/2013, 08:35 PM
good advice DIY a standard tank in to a sump you can make what you want

bader
10/16/2013, 10:08 PM
What do they want to include for that price sounds real spendy. You can definitely get a stock tank or a plain glass tank to fit you area and customize to your needs rather than. Deal with something pre maid

Stickboy97
10/17/2013, 10:08 AM
So would an $1100 sump from my reed creations make sense to you guys? I think the dimensions are 48x20x20 . all acrylic. The pet store quoted me that price. I don't know what I'm doing so I just want to make sure that makes sense to you guys

WOW, no way! Buy used on clist, on here or build your own from a std tank. Buy a 75g, some glass from home depot or lowes & some aquarium safe silicone (lowes has it).

Better yet, where are you located? Hire me & I'll build you one if you are close. Way cheaper than $1100!

Pastey
10/17/2013, 10:14 AM
I chose 3 MP40s over 1 MP60 because I believe there should be multi-directional flow. I can create more chaotic flow in my tank with 3 directions than I can with 1 especially when all 3 are pointed at the very middle of my tank (1 on each side and 1 on the back glass). Massive amounts of flow like the MP60 isn't as important as non-laminar flow or "chaotic" flow as far as I can tell.

bginop
10/17/2013, 05:09 PM
What do they want to include for that price sounds real spendy. You can definitely get a stock tank or a plain glass tank to fit you area and customize to your needs rather than. Deal with something pre maid

From my understanding that is just for the sump and it plumb it to your tank. I haven't boughten a sump before so I don't know if that's crazy.

bginop
10/17/2013, 05:11 PM
WOW, no way! Buy used on clist, on here or build your own from a std tank. Buy a 75g, some glass from home depot or lowes & some aquarium safe silicone (lowes has it).

Better yet, where are you located? Hire me & I'll build you one if you are close. Way cheaper than $1100!

But isn't my reef creations a really good manufacturer? I mean I have no idea if that's crazy as they dont list prices on their website.

bginop
10/17/2013, 05:12 PM
I chose 3 MP40s over 1 MP60 because I believe there should be multi-directional flow. I can create more chaotic flow in my tank with 3 directions than I can with 1 especially when all 3 are pointed at the very middle of my tank (1 on each side and 1 on the back glass). Massive amounts of flow like the MP60 isn't as important as non-laminar flow or "chaotic" flow as far as I can tell.

Bravo sir! I figured that was going to be your answer.

GrampaDon
10/17/2013, 06:49 PM
Without knowing the model of MRC sump the 1100$ might be a fair price.
But most here DIY a sump for dirt cheap so we can spend on other things.
But if your budget allows a 1100$ sump then yes MRC or triggersystems [Ruby] and many others build excellent stuff.

I personally DIY because im a garage person so its fun to me.< read beating square pegs into round holes :hammer: YMMV.

viggen
10/18/2013, 04:09 PM
2-5x turnover through sump is all that's needed and internal or external pump is just personal preference. For 20 ish years I almost exclusively used external and presently switched to internal on my 475.

I have two mp60's on my tanks and am extremely pleased with them..... Great stuff!

Sump wise I think bigger is better. Always better having more room then needed in a sump vs not enough room for stuff. Be it adding additional filtration at a later date etc

Like stated not sure what you get for that $1100...... For a comparable size reefdynamics sump/refugium they are at $900 for one with similar dimensions.

bginop
10/18/2013, 05:01 PM
Without knowing the model of MRC sump the 1100$ might be a fair price.
But most here DIY a sump for dirt cheap so we can spend on other things.
But if your budget allows a 1100$ sump then yes MRC or triggersystems [Ruby] and many others build excellent stuff.

I personally DIY because im a garage person so its fun to me.< read beating square pegs into round holes :hammer: YMMV.

I think its the 48" reef sump. I think i dont really understand sumps so im not sure im comfortable building one as it is th heart of your system.

bader
10/18/2013, 05:51 PM
A sump is really just a spot to add equipment and other filters like DSB and more rock that u don't want to see in you display

GrampaDon
10/18/2013, 06:16 PM
Here are some MRC sumps.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/aquariums/sumps/my-reef-creations

And yes they can get up to 1100$. So its up to you if you like and trust your LFS to treat you right. On the other side are the DIY <read thrifty people.
Who would prefer to buy a used aquarium and install baffles themselves. And spend the remaining 900-1000$ on anything else.

Bottom line is do what you are comfortable doing. The rest will come to you.