PDA

View Full Version : TED talk on coral mutation

Mangodude
10/17/2013, 12:39 AM
I'm trying to find a video I saw about a month or so ago on TED to write a college term paper on it. From what I recall, the man giving the speech was snorkeling in Biscayne bay in Miami when he found a species of hard coral (native to florida/Caribbean) living in an intertidal, dirty, temp-swinging, dredged portion of the bay, a little more than a few hundred yards from a hotel. Either he hypothesized or he verified that it had a genetic mutation/evolution of some sort that allowed it to live in such crazy conditions and that perhaps this might be the answer to a lot of Florida's coral problems. The problem was that because it was genetically different then any of Florida's protected hard corals, it was not subject to all the usual legal protections.

Does anyone else remember this or am I the only one?

I checked ted's site and couldn't find it..

this isn't quite responsible reefkeeping per se, but it is being responsible about a natural reef so I thought it might count..

G4546
10/25/2013, 03:47 PM
I'd like to see/hear this video. Very interesting. Thanks for posting about it. I'll tag along until we obtain our answer! :)

billsreef
10/25/2013, 04:59 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2341597