PDA

View Full Version : Herbie emergency drain plumbing

Newms118
10/17/2013, 09:54 AM
I read somewhere that if your worried about not having enough room in the section of your sump you channel the drain to, just use a T and have it run to your return section also.

For the emergency drain, is it bad to have some of the flow going to different parts of the sump rather than just straight down and unrestricted by a T joint?

thegrun
10/17/2013, 10:46 AM
It wouldn't matter either way.

necessary_evil
10/17/2013, 12:58 PM
Just avoid having the emergency drain feed to an area of your sump that will cause flooding if the drain is utilized.

uncleof6
10/17/2013, 05:52 PM
Well if you have set the system up properly, according to the original, and current (save for the DIY Hackers guide,) intentions for the DRY EMERGENCY, then there is NO FLOW in it to channel to different sections of the sump. I am sorry, these "siphon" are designed to be simple to implement. Mis-interpreting or mis-representing the instructions, is what make them complicated.

Even if you 'can't help' but implement it improperly, there is not enough flow (or should not be) in the now non-dry emergency, or 'open channel,' to be useful for any purpose you may be thinking of.

Newms118
10/20/2013, 07:52 PM
Well if you have set the system up properly, according to the original, and current (save for the DIY Hackers guide,) intentions for the DRY EMERGENCY, then there is NO FLOW in it to channel to different sections of the sump. I am sorry, these "siphon" are designed to be simple to implement. Mis-interpreting or mis-representing the instructions, is what make them complicated.

Even if you 'can't help' but implement it improperly, there is not enough flow (or should not be) in the now non-dry emergency, or 'open channel,' to be useful for any purpose you may be thinking of.

I dont intend on having the emergency drain as anything but dry, but in the event my main gets plugged, i wanted to know the best way to distribute out the flow.

SGT_York
10/21/2013, 02:30 PM
Place the output of the emergency right next to the return pump, so your sump takes in bubbles and there is a big sign on your tank saying fix me. Any location will work, but I prefer the solutions that tell me there is something wrong.

uncleof6
10/22/2013, 03:42 PM
I dont intend on having the emergency drain as anything but dry, but in the event my main gets plugged, i wanted to know the best way to distribute out the flow.

Put it right down next to the siphon. The plumbing as close to matching as possibly. This will insure that starting characteristics will be the same. Too different, and there may be a 'start failure.' Glad you are not interested in hacking up the design. (It is aleady hacked anyway ;) )

Joel_155
10/22/2013, 08:59 PM
Yeah I would run it exactly next to the the siphon line.