PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer Dilemma

darthparj
10/19/2013, 08:14 AM
Hi folks,

Wanted your thoughts, opinions, experiences. I currently have a reef octopus nwb 150 that's been running for about 2.5 years in my 50 gallon mix reef tank (heavy bio-load). The pump it came with is slowly dying (even after cleaning it is not pulling as much skimmate).

I have the option to:
A) upgrade the pump to a bubble blaster hy-2000 (essentially making it a SRO)
B) purchase a new skimmer. Skimmer I would go with is the Aquamaxx ConeS-1

Aquamaxx ConeS-1 is on backorder and the few places that carry it do not have a firm date on when they are coming in, they are guesstimating end of this month.

Which options would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

Laozy204
10/19/2013, 08:22 AM
i would purchase a new protein skimmer, whats your budget?

darthparj
10/19/2013, 08:25 AM
i would purchase a new protein skimmer, whats your budget?

Thanks. Budget is up to $300.

New bubble blaster pump is about $220, New Aquamaxx ConeS-1 is about $257.

Drae
10/19/2013, 10:14 AM
Aquamaxx coneS Co-1. The sharks are better than the bubble blasters and The AM skimmer is easier to tune, quieter, more balanced, and less finicky than the reef oc's. Better overall units imo.

darthparj
10/19/2013, 03:13 PM
Aquamaxx coneS Co-1. The sharks are better than the bubble blasters and The AM skimmer is easier to tune, quieter, more balanced, and less finicky than the reef oc's. Better overall units imo.

Thanks Drae. I've been leaning towards the aquamaxx but it's lack of availability has me worried. Not sure if my current skimmer can last much longer. I took it out today to clean and after restarting, it still isn't producing sufficient skimmate.

HaroldT
10/19/2013, 08:25 PM
Go with a new skimmer. For a 50 gallon with a heavy bio load, get an Aqua Euro 135 Gallon Skimmer.

I use their 250 Gallon Skimmer and it has done a great job for me for several years.

Built like a tank.

http://www.vividaquariums.com/p-7434-aqua-euro-classic-in-sump-skimmer-series.aspx

Dolmo5000
10/19/2013, 08:58 PM
I am a super happy owner of a coneS co-2. I will mention that the acrylic/pvc is not as thick as my old reef octo diablo xs160, but it is totally thick enough to sit in the exact same spot in my sump all its life. I love this thing! It has lots of small details I really like. The whole thing comes apart for very easy full cleaning every 6 or so months. The pump is a tried and true design. Parts and support for it are very easy to find as well. Its also very very quiet. Love the thing. REALLY!