PDA

View Full Version : Sticky on cycling. Not the road kind :)

lt.smash
10/20/2013, 06:39 AM
1st off, reef central has provided me with a wealth of info, I picked up a 65 gallon tank last May which I had to drill, build a sump and overflow, purchase a skimmer , get lights, fill with water and final, cycle...all of this was accomplished by myself and the help of the stickys.

The one thing I feel that is lacking is detailed info on the cycle. I understand what the cycle is, but there is not much info in the stickys concerning the details of the cycle.

I see many threads asking the same questions on this topic, so perhaps one of the resident experts can teach us all on the stages of the initial tank cycle and make it a permanent thread.

Some of the topics you can include are....
Approximately how long it will take.
What to test for.
Water changes if any
When to add snails and other critters (cuc)
When to add corals
When to add fish
when to start skimming
When to add cheato
If / when to add filter socks

smtank
10/20/2013, 08:43 AM
The reason why there is probably no sticky is because no two reefers do it the same nor can they agree on one method.

Even I do not follow a protocol. Depending on the tank size, amount of lr, water test, need for the tank I might do it entirely different for each tank.

Test for Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate
Far too many variables to state with absolution how long a tank takes to cycle. Roughly as long as 8 weeks with the use of dry rock and sand. People with experience can soft cycle a tank almost instantaneously.
When to add livestock: Again nothing is written in stone. If you are going to do the long cycle then in my opinion do not add any live stock until after you have no detectable ammonia or nitrites.
You can add a skimmer when ever you like. I would wait until the end of the long cycle. If I soft cycle or add cycling products I would use the skimmer immediately. Filter sock are not removing enough DOC to make any difference.
Chaeto I would wait until the tank was stocked.

Again, everyone does it differently. It would be be nice if everyone learned how to long cycle a tank so they get a feel for water chemistry and the blooms that tanks go through.

When all is said and done patience, patience, patience....

GhostCon1
10/20/2013, 09:21 AM
1st off, reef central has provided me with a wealth of info, I picked up a 65 gallon tank last May which I had to drill, build a sump and overflow, purchase a skimmer , get lights, fill with water and final, cycle...all of this was accomplished by myself and the help of the stickys.

The one thing I feel that is lacking is detailed info on the cycle. I understand what the cycle is, but there is not much info in the stickys concerning the details of the cycle.

I see many threads asking the same questions on this topic, so perhaps one of the resident experts can teach us all on the stages of the initial tank cycle and make it a permanent thread.

Some of the topics you can include are....
Approximately how long it will take. Varies for each tank, when ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are zero, it's done.
What to test for. See above, unless you mean for a reef tank? Calcium, alkalinity, magnesium to start.
Water changes if any 25-50%, but personally I didn't do WC during my cycle, I did them after. Now if it smells foul, do a WC. After the cycle, some go with 5-10% weekly. Most do 25% every 2-4 weeks. Again, personal preference, just as long as parameters are stable.
When to add snails and other critters (cuc) After the cycle.
When to add corals After cycle, after you've learned how to control parameters, and when your tank is mature. I wait until I see a diversity of micro fauna.
When to add fish After the cycle, and then slowly.
when to start skimming Right away or after cycle.
When to add cheato After cycle.
If / when to add filter socks Depends on if you want to incorporate them in your system.

KeepNitReel
10/20/2013, 10:45 AM
A lot of people are unaware that a water change is sometimes necessary during a cycle. A water change is necessary when ammonia or nitrate readings are off the charts (unreadable) or above 5ppm. This will cause a cycle to stall.

Once ammonia & nitrite are zero, the initial cycle is complete. A WC is necessary to lower the nitrate level, waiting for nitrate to reach zero without doing a water change is unadvisable, you'll be waiting forever, lol!!!