PDA

View Full Version : Bio Pellet Phosphate reduction question

Get Hooked
10/21/2013, 07:40 AM
Currently, I'm running GFO to keep my Phosphates at 0. I'm going to start running Bio Pellets in the next week or two to reduce my Nitrates with the goal of reducing my water change intervals (I'll add dosing at some point if needed).

For those of you using Bio Pellets, are you still running GFO or do the Bio Pellets keep Phosphates at "0" (or really low at least) to allow you to stop using GFO?

Thanks!

rrasco
10/21/2013, 09:37 AM
From what I've gathered you will still need to run GFO. I am, but I just started my pellets about 9 weeks ago. I took GAC and GFO offline for the first 4-6 weeks.

downbeach
10/21/2013, 11:08 AM
I would take the GFO off line while the pellets are colonizing. Once they've kicked in, if the PO4 is still too high for your system, slowly redeploy the reactor. I would suggest you use a Hanna meter for testing.

Toxiq reef
10/21/2013, 11:50 AM
I have .00 on my Hanna meter with weekly water changes and biopellets

rrasco
10/21/2013, 02:05 PM
I have .00 on my Hanna meter with weekly water changes and biopellets

I get .03 on a Hanna and still have algae. I don't trust po4 meters b/c they can't detect bound po4. My po4 test is looking at my tank.

VegasUSP
10/21/2013, 03:42 PM
Now are those of you running biopellets and GFO still using a refugium with chaeto? I've never had good chaeto growth so I am thinking about going that route and taking my fuge offline.

downbeach
10/21/2013, 03:54 PM
I took my fuge off line for two reasons, the first being I wouldn't have enough N's and P's to go around for both methods, and secondly the pellets work better in a dark environment.

rrasco
10/21/2013, 03:58 PM
I took my fuge off line for two reasons, the first being I wouldn't have enough N's and P's to go around for both methods, and secondly the pellets work better in a dark environment.

Why is that?

I left my fuge running, actually threw a bucket of chaeto away this weekend, but alas I don't think my BP have been fully colonized yet.

LazRodriguez
10/21/2013, 07:15 PM
I've been running biopellets for just over two months. Nitrates are 0 phosphates are .08 on Red Sea test.

Joel_155
10/21/2013, 09:05 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that BP will reduce nitrates to phosphates in a ratio around 16:1 (so I've been told). I'm starting pellets up again and this time I'm leaving my Gfo up as my rocks have been leaching PO4 for a while and HA is going nuts in my tank. The BP may stall out if the nitrate/phosphate ratio isn't inline. So if you notice your PO4 isn't dropping its possible that your nitrates are at zero.

LazRodriguez
10/22/2013, 05:11 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that BP will reduce nitrates to phosphates in a ratio around 16:1 (so I've been told). I'm starting pellets up again and this time I'm leaving my Gfo up as my rocks have been leaching PO4 for a while and HA is going nuts in my tank. The BP may stall out if the nitrate/phosphate ratio isn't inline. So if you notice your PO4 isn't dropping its possible that your nitrates are at zero.

Well I guess that's what my issue is. My PO4
Has been stuck at .08 for a solid month. When I started the BP at was nitrates 4ppm and PO4 .64

downbeach
10/22/2013, 05:18 AM
I've been running biopellets for just over two months. Nitrates are 0 phosphates are .08 on Red Sea test.

I had a problem, along with others here, with the Red Sea PO4 kit. It wouldn't read below .08.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2278664

I would recommend a Hanna meter for this particular test.

ReeVo
10/22/2013, 06:22 AM
GFO should only be used with BPs if you have high phosphates or somewhat high. If your phosphates are at .03 while running BP without GFO, then it's not needed.

Get Hooked
10/22/2013, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the responses. I was just wondering if the added cost of the biopellet reactor and media would be offset a bit by me no longer purchasing RowaPhos, but based on what I have read I should probably still count on the need for running my Rowa.

When I didn't run Rowa my Phosphates spiked to .18 using a Hanna meter. I used Marco Rock when I started my tank and I have read many reports of Phosphate leeching from them. Although I have had them in the tank for over 4 months now and they are covered in green coralline and a lot of purple showing on them now.

rrasco
10/22/2013, 11:39 AM
That's the thing about BP though, after the initial investment, (I think) they are cheap to run. I have not had to add anymore yet and I think they take some time to dissolve, so you don't really have a lot of media to keep up with.

Get Hooked
10/22/2013, 11:59 AM
That's the thing about BP though, after the initial investment, (I think) they are cheap to run. I have not had to add anymore yet and I think they take some time to dissolve, so you don't really have a lot of media to keep up with.

True - my LFS sells the Two Little Fishies NPX Bioplastics 400ml for $20. I think I'll start with 1/4th, or 100ml and add some each week. The bag says to use 100ml per 25 gallons. I bought an Aquamaxx Biomaxx reactor that should arrive any day now.

rrasco
10/22/2013, 12:27 PM
I started out with about 1/4 they recommended as well, 9 weeks ago but I have seen none of the BP dissipate. I am using warner ecobak.

LazRodriguez
10/22/2013, 09:00 PM
I had a problem, along with others here, with the Red Sea PO4 kit. It wouldn't read below .08.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2278664

I would recommend a Hanna meter for this particular test.

Thanks downbeach, I will be getting the Hanna

greenstreet.1
10/22/2013, 09:15 PM
I have been running biopellets since march both no3 and po4 are at zero also have a refugium and I also run carbon in a reactor. No problems yet the only thing make sure the pellets have good movement they also eat up your alk a little.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/23/y6uzaby9.jpg

DingDong128
10/23/2013, 12:06 PM
only thing make sure the pellets have good movement they also eat up your alk a little.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/23/y6uzaby9.jpg

greenstreet - What do you mean eat up your alk? I've never heard that before.

As for running GFO with BP, I run GFO in a reactor. I find that regular Ferric oxide is good enough. No longer pay the big bucks for Rowaphos. I've tried not using the GFO but my phosphates did rise over time.

As for a fuge, i took mine down. It didn't make a bit of difference before or after. I think the pellets keep nitrates down low enough to be unnecessary

Kevin :fish1:

greenstreet.1
10/23/2013, 12:21 PM
greenstreet - What do you mean eat up your alk? I've never heard that before.

As for running GFO with BP, I run GFO in a reactor. I find that regular Ferric oxide is good enough. No longer pay the big bucks for Rowaphos. I've tried not using the GFO but my phosphates did rise over time.

As for a fuge, i took mine down. It didn't make a bit of difference before or after. I think the pellets keep nitrates down low enough to be unnecessary

Kevin :fish1:

Biopellets take up alk also.