PDA

View Full Version : Phosban Question

mluntz
10/21/2013, 09:23 AM
I have been battling an ongoing algae bloom, mostly brown. In the past week I have done two 10% water changes, sifted the sand, brushed what rock I could, been cleaning the glass, etc. My nitrates are 0, which may be attributed to the algae absorbing them.

I would like to try to run some Phosban as I apparently have a phosphate problem. I am going to purchase a reactor, but in the meantime I would like to try some in my canister filter.

Does anyone have experience with this product? Would it be worth my while to try this?

thegrun
10/21/2013, 09:26 AM
Try Blue Life PHOS Fx in a nylon bag, you can regenerate it in a hot saltwater mix for multiple uses. If you want to use carbon also, use it in a seperate bag rather than mixing the two products.

Sugar Magnolia
10/21/2013, 09:35 AM
Are you using RODI water? How often are you cleaning the interior of the canister filter?

mluntz
10/21/2013, 09:45 AM
Are you using RODI water? How often are you cleaning the interior of the canister filter?

Yes I am. I clean the filter weekly with my water changes. I was thinking about taking all the sponges out and just running the Phosban by itself with maybe a bag of carbon also.

mluntz
10/21/2013, 12:26 PM
Temporarily I'm going to put a bag of Phosban in my canister filter because I can't stand looking at this crap! I ordered a phosban reactor, and once that is here I think I'm going to try and ditch the canister filter, although I am still a little skeptical. Maybe I'm just really old school.