PDA

View Full Version : Turning off skimmer positive affect or negative

Ariel110G
10/21/2013, 09:48 AM
I know this is going to be a very general question, but is there any positive affect or negative affect on the tank/corals if I turn off my skimmer for a week or two.

I have a 75G soft coral reef with 3 medium size anemones, sump/refugim with media reactor, and another reactor with bio pellets.

Reefmedic79
10/21/2013, 09:53 AM
Mostly negatives, increased nutrients, decrease in dissolved oxygen are the big reasons not to do it.

discocarp
10/21/2013, 10:06 AM
Negative, but probably meaningless for just a couple weeks. I've had skimmers fail for longer than that. :) If you have a heavy fish load, you might want to add an airstone or point a pump towards the surface to ripple it and get more oxygen. I run low/moderate fish loads and its never been an issue for me, but it wouldn't hurt.

Jrod4
10/21/2013, 10:47 AM
This post is timely. I am getting my protein skimmer replaced because a part broke on it and apparently they would rather send me a new one than a replacement part. So I need to send it to them, and once they see that I have sent it, they will send a new one to me.

I will be without a skimmer for probably 5 to 7 days. Do I need to do anything special in this time period? Is 7 days cause for concern?

I only have to small clowns in my tank so not a huge bio-load, and 30 pounds of LR and a fuge with caulerpa and dragons breath.

MrIcky
10/21/2013, 01:25 PM
With the critters you describe, and if your other export mechanisms take up the slack you may not notice much difference at all. You may even have some accelerated growth for a while.

discocarp
10/21/2013, 01:42 PM
You're perfectly fine.