PDA

View Full Version : return pump recommendation

telamont
10/21/2013, 10:52 AM
I have a 20g tank. I am building a sump its either 10 or 15g but same footprint as a 10g I just may get a taller tank so it may have more volume. My sump will most likely include a skimmer, baffle, and then return pump. The return pump will be pumping back into the main in 2 diferent spots of the tank.

Can anyone recommend a quiet return pump with enough gph for my system? Im not sure what gph I need also wondering if it needs to be more than normal because I am returning water in two different places so the pump may need to be more powerful. I want a lot of turnover so I am not worried about overdoing it too much. Also is it bad to have valves on the return? If you close the valves and the pump is experiencing some resistance returning water back into the tank is that bad for the pump?

Thanks for the help!!

rishma
10/21/2013, 11:01 AM
I recommend not relying on the sump return for your flow, if possible. Flow from a powerhead/stream pump is my strong preference.

large return pump volumes in small sumps causes issues like noise and microbubbles. I like to target turning over very small volumes per hour, such as 2-4 times the tank volume. in your case, a very small pump/powerhead will do the job as a return pump.

Valves are generally not a problem on the return pump and can be used to reduce flow rates.

telamont
10/21/2013, 11:07 AM
Well I want a lot of turnover and a lot of flow. I have two mp10s. How can I get a lot of turnover and minimize noise? Do you still suggest only one return?

What is 4-6x turnover of my system? Im not sure how to calculate that but its what I am shooting for.

rishma
10/21/2013, 11:29 AM
if you have a 20 gallon tank and 5 gallons of water in your sump (ten gallon sump tank), then you have about 25 gallons of water in the system. 4x25 is 100 gallons per hour...

Your MP10s will provide PLENTY of flow. Keep it simple, only do one return. you wont regret it.

Minimize noise with a herbie style siphon overflow. Do a reef central search on it.

Turnover rate though sump only needs to support filtration. I would not exceed the 100 gallons per hour, but that is based on my experience.

Dolmo5000
10/21/2013, 11:29 AM
I agree with the above response to your OP but can add that many people choose to match their sump flow with that of their protein skimmer. How much does your skimmer handle in 1 hour?

Additionally, i have and absolutely love my lifeguard aquatics quiet one pro 6000. Lots of flow for my 120g sps tank but they come with a dial to turn them down. I literally cannot tell if its on without looking at my returns. And its the largest model the have. Just my 2 cents

telamont
10/21/2013, 11:33 AM
I will do 1 return then.

oh wow nice thanks for the pump recommendation. my skimmer is REEF OCTOPUS DIABLO XS 160 PROTEIN SKIMMER. Nice pump its a bubble blaster HY1000S.

rishma
10/21/2013, 12:18 PM
Quiet one pro is huge for a 20 gallon tank, but a nice pump. I would use an eheim 1048 assuming you have 3 ft of head pressure or so. Perfect fit. Silent. Reliable for a decade.

Dolmo5000
10/21/2013, 12:23 PM
Eheim are great pumps. The quiet one 1200 looks good i thought after head loss. No?