PDA

View Full Version : pulled mushrooms off rocks. slimed away. why?

saltym3
10/21/2013, 11:07 AM
I have 100+ of the purple/turquoise mushrooms in my tank. They grow everywhere and when I tried to control an area i did not want them by my zoas I plucked them off the rock with tweezers. Most of them came off fine. I put about 10 in a shallow container filled with gravel and rubber banded a piece of veil on the top and had it sitting towards the bottom corner of the tank.

Also the larger ones I put on plugs and rubber banded veil over the plug to contain them. Within 1 week the ones on the plug looked like they melted into the veil. Is this an issue of flow? Possibly the veil was banded on too tight? It looked as if they melted through the veil.

About 2 weeks in and all but 1 or 2 in the container were not slimed away into the gravel. Wondering if this could possiby be a flow issue.

Most mushrooms were 1-2" some were 3-4" and slimed away.

When I pulled the container out it smelled horrible and the veil was covered in debris.

alexx2208
10/22/2013, 09:39 AM
When I need to control my mushrooms, I usually cut them from their stem and then remove stem if I don't want 2 pieces :ape:. I do this because I notice when I rip them off rock, they "throw up", and I do not know but im guessing that may be their "guts", pretty much killing them :facepalm: , and I never see them again.

My lfs has a large Ziploc container in a low flow area with maybe 1 inch of substrate such as crushed shells or similar, and do the following:

drop frags and such in container
wait 2 weeks
remove from container
repeat. :ape:

I have seen it work, but there can be almost no flow going in to it.

Hope this helps

Alex